zoodad mod complete! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
zoodad mod complete!

well on the way back home today i was looking at my air intake temps and they were a steady 7-8 degrees cruising at 70 mph. Busted out the dremel and did the zoodad! now i am seeing 2-4 degrees at 55! awesome mod! I have a ranchhand legend bumper and the horizontal thin chrome inserts where the honey comb black grill is, do you think i would still need to put a screen over the new opening? i read up on the posts about to screen or not, but with all that protection i cant imagine much getting in there. Any thoughts? i have the stock intake and filtration. Oh! and im getting ready to drop some mulah and get an SCT livewire, new oil cooler, intake gaskets, coolant filter, blue spring upgrade, and egr from mkmcustoms! gonna order it all in the next hour or so, so it will ship out tomorrow! cant wait to have some custom tunes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troger11 View Post
well on the way back home today i was looking at my air intake temps and they were a steady 7-8 degrees cruising at 70 mph. Busted out the dremel and did the zoodad! now i am seeing 2-4 degrees at 55! awesome mod! I have a ranchhand legend bumper and the horizontal thin chrome inserts where the honey comb black grill is, do you think i would still need to put a screen over the new opening? i read up on the posts about to screen or not, but with all that protection i cant imagine much getting in there. Any thoughts? i have the stock intake and filtration. Oh! and im getting ready to drop some mulah and get an SCT livewire, new oil cooler, intake gaskets, coolant filter, blue spring upgrade, and egr from mkmcustoms! gonna order it all in the next hour or so, so it will ship out tomorrow! cant wait to have some custom tunes!
I have a screen over mine just to keep the bugs out and it does work . You'd be supprized what hits the opening . As for the up grades keep your stock ar intake I should have spent the cash on something better.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:43 PM

i put a screen all the way across my grille where the radiator and condensor and that are just cause when spring rolls around bugs galor and cotton and who know what else, did it so i wouldnt have anything bending the fins all to crap i havent noticed any raise in temps on coolant or oil. just added safety
Old 05-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah I'm def keeping the stock intake. What kind of screen are most people using? Like screen door mesh or more like 1/4" hardware cloth. Is think the smaller and finer the screen the better? Lemme know what you are using and where you found it!

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free
Old 05-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I use a screen door type mesh that is plastic or fiberglass on something non metal. been there for 4 years and keeps anything bad from getting in there.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Has anybody seen any real hp gains or any actual benefits to this mod??

Sent from iPhone
Old 05-27-2012, 09:17 PM

i used the plastic or fiberglass screen door mesh, you wont see much of anything really i mean no seat of the pants no dyno numbers no track numbers being different, its just a way of getting more air in, the air restriction is in the manifold. its the same idea as the duramax guys taking the headlight out to get more air in is all its doing so its neither good nor bad its personal preference
Old 05-27-2012, 09:25 PM
back to business

Quote:
Originally Posted by troger11 View Post
well on the way back home today i was looking at my air intake temps and they were a steady 7-8 degrees cruising at 70 mph. Busted out the dremel and did the zoodad! now i am seeing 2-4 degrees at 55!
Those are temps over ambient?

I have run zoodad with a screen, with a plate with 1/4" holes dilled in it and wide open.
The screen does catch a lot of bugs and crap. With the 1/4" holes I saw no "prefiltering", may as well been wide open. I used SS screen, the same size as "window screen", whatever that is.
I'd suggest using a screen of some sort. It acts as a "prefilter" and keeps a lot of the big stuff from hitting the filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
Has anybody seen any real hp gains or any actual benefits to this mod??
I've never heard anyone claim HP gain, and I'd be skeptical if they did. but slightly lower intake air temps are what you'll get

Not a huge decrease (a couple degrees) but for how much it cost, $ZERO, and how long it takes, an hour if you really take your time... Why would you not do it
Old 05-27-2012, 10:42 PM

I just drilled a bunch of small holes in mine insted of cutting a big hole so no need for screen
Old 05-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Mines wide open and have not had any problems yet. Driven in some pretty heavy rain storms and had no issues. In the late spring to early fall I do put on a full mesh bug screen across the grill and headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.