Really annoying whistle just started, help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Really annoying whistle just started, help!

My truck is an 06 and has been studded, EGR deleted, stock airfilter, MBRB straight pipe for about 35k miles and now has 130k on it. Everything was awesome until earlier this week, it developed a whilstle... much like blowing on a blade of grass high pitched whistle... it is there some times at idle, for sure at high idle, but goes away once you accelerate for a few seconds or if you stab it its completely gone, and it is not there on decel. If you are in traffic and at idle or just above idle it is pretty much constantly there and extremely annoying.

I went under the hood, and it seems to be coming from the turbo area, although it is very hard to pin point the sound. I did a search and read about this, and people said torn cold pipe boots... so I just finished taking all the cold pipe blue boots off, inspecting and putting back on. No rips, but started it up and the whistle is still there.

Has anybody else had this problem? Again no loss of power or anything, so its gotta be something small and stupid, but its incredibly aggravating. It is loud in the cab, even over my radio and loud under the hood.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The expantion joint on the Y-pipe is prone to cracking, you may have a really small crack developing.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:52 AM

It definitely sounds like you have a crack in your up-pipe or Y-pipe.

Mine has the exact same symtoms and I tracked it down to the passenger side up-pipe bellows. If it is, you can usually see some black soot buildup around where the crack is. I verified my leak by laying under the truck with it running (whistling!) and using a long screwdriver to reach up and push on the bellows part of the up-pipe, the whistle would go away when I did this.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:03 PM

I'd say upipe bellows as well. Its often described as the tea kettle sound. My truck was making this sound a month or so ago and it decided to go away. Maryland diesel performce sells aftermarket ones, so does elite diesel. I've always replaced with stock parts. I've had this problem before.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsSD View Post
It definitely sounds like you have a crack in your up-pipe or Y-pipe.

Mine has the exact same symtoms and I tracked it down to the passenger side up-pipe bellows. If it is, you can usually see some black soot buildup around where the crack is. I verified my leak by laying under the truck with it running (whistling!) and using a long screwdriver to reach up and push on the bellows part of the up-pipe, the whistle would go away when I did this.
X-2
I put in a y-pipe from Elite and like it a lot.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i would check the y pipe list said above the 6.0 has a bad habbit of flex joints on y pipe cracking open

you should also check the usual clamps boots etc
Old 05-30-2012, 01:24 PM

It is the passenger side flex part of the Y pipe that is causing this, I used a piece of pipe to pinpoint the sound.

I called Elite diesel to see about their sweet replacement with quality flex joints in stead of the ****ty stock accordion stuff but they will not have any for a week or more and its $275 + a 275 core charge (even though the new part from ford is only $190 wtf?). So I ordered some 2" OD and 4" long woven flex joints that should be here tomorrow ($20 each), and I will go to town. I will probably take pictures and post them up as I mod my up pipe, but it is a cheap and stronger alternative than stock and I will end up with the same thing Elite Diesel makes for much cheaper and without the wait or hassle and core charge. It is going to be oh so much fun pulling the pipe off the truck!!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by emperorjordan View Post
It is the passenger side flex part of the Y pipe that is causing this, I used a piece of pipe to pinpoint the sound.

I called Elite diesel to see about their sweet replacement with quality flex joints in stead of the ****ty stock accordion stuff but they will not have any for a week or more and its $275 + a 275 core charge (even though the new part from ford is only $190 wtf?). So I ordered some 2" OD and 4" long woven flex joints that should be here tomorrow ($20 each), and I will go to town. I will probably take pictures and post them up as I mod my up pipe, but it is a cheap and stronger alternative than stock and I will end up with the same thing Elite Diesel makes for much cheaper and without the wait or hassle and core charge. It is going to be oh so much fun pulling the pipe off the truck!!
Here is some measurements.

Y pipe flex leak, whats the diameter/length of flex?
Old 05-30-2012, 02:00 PM

Yes, I saw that thread, but after I measured, thank you for the reference!

Here are some pix and my crappy drawing:

Old 06-02-2012, 06:46 AM

Alright, so I kinda failed on the pictures, but we made a jig and cut and tacked it up, it fit perfectly, so welded up, header wrapped the driver side leg and good to go. I found out that the early trucks had the heat shield bolted to the pipe, and the later ones like mine have it bolted to the motor. The new flex parts I had were too big and hit the shield bolted to the motor, so I took the shield off and header wrapped the pipe. No pix of the finished result, was too rushed trying to get truck back together.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.