Turbo spooling and custom tunes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Turbo spooling and custom tunes

This truck is my first diesel that I have owned. Had a bunch of 7.3's on the farm I worked on when I was growing up but never wrenched on them. Always been a Ford man but decided to go the the 6.0 since I only got 8-9mpg with my old V10.

Here is my question. I have been reading about the time that it takes for the turbo to spool up. It that why the truck is slow from a stop, until the turbo has a a chance to spool up and build compression? Wrenched on my v10 all the time but never had anything with a turbo in it.

I am currently stock (only owned it for a week so far) but u I have a SCT x3 but no tunes yet. Will custom tunes help the turbo spool quicker and help acelleration from a stop?

On a side note if custom tunes are that much more impressive than stock I am going to be in some seroius trouble It already hard to keep my foot out of the skinny pedal. Better put as much in my ticket fund as i do into my mod fund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Custom tunes help with the lag, try them first and if your still not happy, get your FICM tuned.

I'm sorry to tell you this but....... Custom tunes make a BIG difference in power than the stock tunes!! Start putting that mod money in the bank, most likely the first thing you'll need is new rear tires. LOL!
Old 05-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Emergency Services

I will actually be getting the FICM tuned in 2 weeks. I took my CTS when I went to buy the truck and saw that it was dipping to 41v right after starting. Got them to knock $500 off the price. Will be sending it off to Ed to get rebuilt when I go on vacation next week. I figured since I am sending it in it would be foolish not to have him throw a tune on it at the same time
Old 05-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Yes, a good custom SCT tune will make a BIG difference. To the tune of ( haha! ) about 120 horses and 248 feet of torque increase on a stock engine for an 2006 6.0.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
So an fcim tune will decrease the turbo spool lag??

Sent from iPhone
Old 05-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post

Sent from iPhone

It stands to reason that it would. To me anyway.

On the custom tune vs stock take off. Well um YEA it makes a HUGE difference. My 06 pulled 255 hp and 508 ft lbs of torque on the dyno at BDP I thought that was really low for a 6.0 anything. It took a while but I finally got around to getting my SCT and ordered my first tune from IDP, Eric knows his tuning, and I ordered the extreme street and you wanna talk about night and day it was unreal. I have not had it back on the dyno since, but from a standing start pedal to the floor turbo lag city with the stock tune to near instant spool and burning the 295's thru 3 rd gear and then a get in sit down shut up and hold on ride there after Yea there is a difference lol.

I would not recomend doing that very often studs or no EGT's skyrocket and that is never good. I also have run IDP's extreme race which gives torque converter lock up in all gears and it bad azz as well. I currently run Johanathan at BDP's daily driver tune and it is hands down far and away better than stock and nearly doubled my mpg's which were nothing to brag about. I also have his race tune and it is great as well.

Since the truck is going to be out of service while you are on vacation I highly recomend that you do your coolant flush before you pull it apart. I recomend you either use the flush from ford or get you some restore which will remove the silicate sludge that may be present and then use a extended life coolant that does not contain silicates I believe it is referred to CAT EC- 1 rated coolant. It will save your egr cooler which will save your oil cooler, or even better do this and delete the egr system all together.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post

Sent from iPhone

the ficm tune helped mine spool a little faster
mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.