BPD oil filter change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 05:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BPD oil filter change

did my first oil filter and oil change yesterday. this was the first time changing the oil filter on the BPD oil cooler kit. I made a mess! and i am not sure how anyone could avoid making a mess? I primed the new oil filter with one quart of oil, unscrewed the old oil filter, removed old oil filter, and installed new oil filter. the mess happens when during the filter change, i bet i lost 1 to 1.5 qurats of oil. Oil just flow out of the filter block. Personally i think there needs to be a "check valve", the check valve would not allow oil to drain back out of the lines and or cooler.
hopefully others with this kit can chime in with some helpful tips and my next oil change will have less mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 05:26 AM
Premium Member

I agree it's messy job ,I used a funnel & 5 gallon bucket to catch the oil that came out but I also had a heads up on what to expect!! The thing is u want that old oil out when changing!
Old 05-24-2012, 06:42 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I would agree that you want to drain the dirty oil, but if you let 2 or 3 quarts (or more) drain out of the hoses and cooler then how long does it take to build oil pressure when you first start it?

How many quarts are required to do an oil change with the BDP oil cooler?
Old 05-24-2012, 06:55 AM

took about 10sec to register oil pressure after this oil change. Initially took 19 quarts for the first time. I dont think i lost more than 1.5quarts changing the filters. I do think a "inline check valve" would eliminate the loss of oil out of the cooler and most of the mess when changing filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I would agree that you want to drain the dirty oil, but if you let 2 or 3 quarts (or more) drain out of the hoses and cooler then how long does it take to build oil pressure when you first start it?

How many quarts are required to do an oil change with the BDP oil cooler?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:30 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbock guy View Post
did my first oil filter and oil change yesterday. this was the first time changing the oil filter on the BPD oil cooler kit. I made a mess! and i am not sure how anyone could avoid making a mess? I primed the new oil filter with one quart of oil, unscrewed the old oil filter, removed old oil filter, and installed new oil filter. the mess happens when during the filter change, i bet i lost 1 to 1.5 qurats of oil. Oil just flow out of the filter block. Personally i think there needs to be a "check valve", the check valve would not allow oil to drain back out of the lines and or cooler.
hopefully others with this kit can chime in with some helpful tips and my next oil change will have less mess.
Quote:
took about 10sec to register oil pressure after this oil change. Initially took 19 quarts for the first time. I dont think i lost more than 1.5quarts changing the filters. I do think a "inline check valve" would eliminate the loss of oil out of the cooler and most of the mess when changing filters.
I haven't changed my oil yet since the BDP installation and never thought about the oil draining out of the hoses and from the cooler . May be adding a shutoff or two when I do the first change, sure as hell don't wanna go through that everytime Thanks for the heads up
Old 05-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Glow Plugs Only

May be wise to do a thirty second prime key off to build pressure first by jumpering the male end of the yellow wire passenger side by the heater motor to battery positive first.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:39 AM

Why not add a "inline check valve", or "manual inline shut off valve" on the hose from the oil filter block to the cooler, that would eliminate alot of the oil draining back during oil filter changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee004 View Post
May be wise to do a thirty second prime key off to build pressure first by jumpering the male end of the yellow wire passenger side by the heater motor to battery positive first.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:43 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Why not add a "inline check valve", or "manual inline shut off valve" on the hose from the oil filter block to the cooler, that would eliminate alot of the oil draining back during oil filter changes.
I agree, but you will need one on each of both the inlet and outlets being that the filter housing is the lowest point in the system.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Maybe they don't want to risk having someone close the valve and forget to re-open it after putting the new filter on as that could be a catastophic failure.. I'd rather lose 1.5qt. or oil any day over messing with a check valve... Plus, the more oil i can filter out the better!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

I'm almost positive there is a valve in the aluminum block that closes to build oil pressure at start up then fills lines & cooler ? How long does it take to show oil pressure @ each start up in every day starts ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.