What's the deal with Black Onyx Gaskets? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What's the deal with Black Onyx Gaskets?

So my truck is in the shop getting HG's (OEM of course) and studs, also had to have a valve job (cracks in the valve seats)

After reading all of the threads about Black Onyx HG's going even with studs it has me wondering, why? Heads weren't flat or possibly cracked? Is the gasket material too thin? Is there even a general consensus why they fail or are we just sticking to "don't use them, because they fail"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 09:27 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I think it is because they are thinner then OEM

Either way I wouldn't want to TEST them now

And, yes I will still help you but not them
Old 05-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

It's not too convincing when I tell people "don't use the black onyx gaskets" and when they ask why I just kinda look confused and yell "JUST DON'T, OKAY?!?!"
Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Don't you worry about it

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
just say "unless you want to be doing this same job again in the near future , don't use them"
Old 05-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
It's not too convincing when I tell people "don't use the black onyx gaskets" and when they ask why I just kinda look confused and yell "JUST DON'T, OKAY?!?!"

I know what you mean... IIRC it is because they are thinner

Also, the "material used" might not be the best either
Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
I know everybody hates them, but bill at PHP runs them on his 6.0 truck and they are holding up well and he beats on the truck harder then most people would.. While I do think they might not be as good as factory gaskets I think a lot of it's in the prep work of the heads and block before you stick them on. He bought the truck with them already installed and the machine shop that did the work on the heads also installed the studs and gaskets and they are very meticulous (they did all the machine work on my 7.3 and I got the bill to show for it as well lol) and I truly think thats why some people have issues with them and some don't because the 6.0 has to be so spot on with the machine work and since the stock gasket it thicker maybe it gives just a little extra wiggle room with the machining and the black onyx gaskets expose the flaw in machine work now I could be totally wrong but that's my take on it
Old 05-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Premium Member

That's pretty much what I was thinking
Old 05-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowdown89 View Post
I know everybody hates them, but bill at PHP runs them on his 6.0 truck and they are holding up well and he beats on the truck harder then most people would.. While I do think they might not be as good as factory gaskets I think a lot of it's in the prep work of the heads and block before you stick them on. He bought the truck with them already installed and the machine shop that did the work on the heads also installed the studs and gaskets and they are very meticulous (they did all the machine work on my 7.3 and I got the bill to show for it as well lol) and I truly think thats why some people have issues with them and some don't because the 6.0 has to be so spot on with the machine work and since the stock gasket it thicker maybe it gives just a little extra wiggle room with the machining and the black onyx gaskets expose the flaw in machine work now I could be totally wrong but that's my take on it

That might very well be the answer... SOO for 99% of owners and machinists that do not know how to meticulously work the heads OEM Head Gaskets are the way to go still

But I agree with you on your statement bud
Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
Oh certainly I wouldnt recommend people to run the black onyx at all, because of the difficulty in finding machine shops that really know 6.0s.. And when you can make a crap ton of power on stock gaskets with studs there really isn't a reason to run anything but OEM.... I know that's all I would use
Old 05-23-2012, 11:14 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
And when bill blows them I bet he puts oem on.

They were produced because there was enough of a market for them to make money off poorly designed gaskets. The market of people out there that want whats new, what others dont have... what sucks is i found posts from 2009 & 2010 on here and psn where site sponsors were selling them. Thats sucks cuz you want to believe they did their homework and that the gaskets would work.

Sent from my droidx using autoguide app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.