Plan of Attack - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Plan of Attack

Ok, so a few weeks ago I posted asking questions about my 2006 F-350. I have done some research and would like opinions about my paln of attack for my truck. I am very nervous about my truck now after reading some threads on here! HAHAHA As I stated before, I am just looking to do "preventative maintenance" and gain horsepower for towing and a little better fuel economy when not. I love my truck and have actually considered buying a new one, but I would rather keep this one! I have been looking at MKM Customs and this is what I have decided to do to my rig:

Basic Solution Kit (EGR Delete, new OEM oil cooler, coolant filter and all associated seals)
Programmer combo (Edge insight with SCT 3015 and 4 custom tunes)
Blue Spring upgrade

Walker RV Muffler (From Summit Racing)

I plan to do all this myself, although I have never wrenched on a diesel...HAHAHAHA. All this stuff will cost about $1700 and I am ok with it, seeing some of the repair bills on here scares the crap out of me! HAHAHA. I am currently deployed, so I won't be doing all this stuff until september-ish. My wife and I are planning a camping trip that will take us from Idaho, thru Utah down to the Grand Canyon and back. Should I do all this before I go or wait until I get back?

One last note...I just spent $500 before I left to have the cooling system flushed and also the power steering cleaned and serviced.

Ok, I would appreciate anyone's input on this and don't worry, I can take it!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 03:31 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Any additional plans for more HP in the future??
Old 05-23-2012, 03:56 AM
Powerstroke Techie

IMO, the first thing I would do is a monitor solution to see what is going on with the motor. You may/may not need a oil cooler. You may/may not have a upgraded fuel spring.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ya I would do the egr delete and insight to see what ur temps r and wait on the oil cooler also If u do this close to the time of ur trip I wouldn't put the custom tunes on because they have a period where the trans has to learn at least with Eric's tunes I don't know much about mkm customs tunes I plan on getting them when I get my sct tuner until it get Eric's but ur tuner comes with preloaded tunes u could run that for the time being just keep it on a light tune just for insurance. With the custom tunes u could run them if u wanted on ur trip but with mkm customs tunes they aren't a well known custom tuning dealer so be careful. Just keep an eye on ur temps and driving without the tune would be the best way to go in case ur tunes need tweaking. Good luck man!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
IMO, the first thing I would do is a monitor solution to see what is going on with the motor. You may/may not need a oil cooler. You may/may not have a upgraded fuel spring.
Agreed. Monitor and find out what you are dealing with before you throw money at it. Then I would highly recommend you give a look at IPR's new full flow coolant filter and billet egr delete. Very nice stuff. You will find threads on them in the 6.0 Performance Forum.

I would look elsewhere for your tunes as well. MKM's tunes are mediocre at best. Eric at IDP, Matt at Gearhead, Vivian at QuickTricks, or Chris at TSD all write better tunes than MKM. It only takes about 40 miles for your trans to learn an new tune so don't work much about that.

Last edited by PGreenSVT; 05-23-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Agreed. Monitor and find out what you are dealing with before you throw money at it. Then I would highly recommend you give a look at IPR's new full flow coolant filter and billet egr delete. Very nice stuff. You will find threads on them in the 6.0 Performance Forum.
Ya the cooler filter will great minimize the risk of the stock oil collet of failing. As long as u keep the coolant clean the stock cooler should be fine. Is the bulletproof cooler better? Yes. But u don't need it if ur stock cooler hasnt gone yet.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info so far. I do not plan to do any other hp mods in the future. I just had the truck in last fall and Ford replaced all the seals in the engine. I was just thinking of doing the oil cooler with the EGR delete kit, since I would already have most of the stuff in the way removed. Since I bought the truck used, I don't know how well it was taken care of. I got it with 47k miles on it and have put about 30k on it myself. I was pretty "diesel dumb" with this truck and the service intervals, except for the oil changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.