Tony Wildman tune review!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Smile Tony Wildman tune review!!

Alright guys, I'll start off by saying that I haven't done business with tony in the past and we all know how legendary he is in the powerstroke world. Well anyway I haven't heard much about his tunes on here but I asked about towing tunes a month or two ago and stated I really liked the Wildman tow tune, towing about 8-9k lbs and getting about 15mpg on scparrish's truck and was wondering why other folks got. I have previously had the gearhead 8k tow tune and liked the power but was not impressed with the mileage 10-11mpg towing a small 20ft boat.

Well tony actually PMed me and asked for my truck and sct info and he would shoot me a tune to see if I liked it or not. So he sent me a tune and we got it dialed in to how I liked it. Great power curve and low end grunt with still being able to use it as a dd tune as well. Shifting felt great and held gears at the right speeds and throttle % to my liking. Now granted this was an empty test for around a week and then on and off while we dialed it in. I am extremely satisfied with the service and tune and he just sent me a race tune to try out so it's loaded up in the truck and I'll have more info tomorrow.

I know a lot of the 6.0 folks don't run his tunes but he reached out to me and we will just say the price is better than right! Within a day or so back and forth we had everything going and considering he has gone out of his way to make and tweak these tunes for a complete stranger is amazing IMO. We all know the unfortunate circumstances that his family has been dealt and I think the outstanding customer service that he has provided me says wonders about his business.

I will post up more reviews once I have it hooked up to a trailer this fall and drive out to Moab and report impressions and my mpgs with the tune. I will be reporting more on his race tune here shortly once I get some time behind the wheel with it. I have the looney wild and srl to compare it to.

Update!!! 23May12

Alright well Tony sent me his first stab at a race file for my truck with a warning that the pedal may be a little touchy so be fretful...game on! Anyways I loaded it up and ended up putting a little over 100 miles with highway and city and putting it through the paces. All I have to say is wow, why the hell haven't we all been running his tunes.

Unfortunately the srl isn't much of a comparison for this, but it does have the srl "feel" of it actually throws you in your seat vs the looney wild is fast but it doesn't have the same "punch" feeling. Now I will say his tune feels like a mix of the two, traditionally the srl has nice firm crisp shifts that are a little harsh feeling while the looney wild has a firm shift as well but is easier for dd IMO. This has the punch of the srl with shifting very similar to the looney wild. I would put money that this tune is faster but it's not hard evidence, just SOTP feeling. Egts are about 50-75 degrees cooler on the highway right around 600-650 cruising at 70. It wlso has very low lag just like the other tunes but seems to get into the power band faster than the srl or looney wild. Normal driving has no smoke and when i punch it it does the normal quick puff and then a haze, the haze is darker than the wild but not by much, this could eqsily be changed im sure i just dont care lol. The only reason I said the srl isn't a comparison is because its an older file for non studded and factory injectors. This is more similar to the srl+ or ++ maybe. If I had matt write a new tune I'm sure it would be very competitive because he does great work.

This is my new favorite tune and I'll report on mileage Once I get a few tanks ran through it and can give solid numbers. The srl and looney wild both had great fuel mileage and driveability and are also great tunes but I would recommend Tonys race tune over them because of personal driving preferences. Remember this was the first file sent to me and I really don't see any improvements or changes necessary so I'll leave it alone until I can buy Adrian's turbo lol.

Tonys email to get your own custom tune: sales@totaldieselperformance.com and let him know Mike sent ya

Last edited by macoyle; 05-24-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 09:34 PM
back to business

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have been interested in his 6.0 tuning for a while. Never seen any feedback from anybody on this site running his tunes.

I've talked to him in person (on 2 different occasions), but never about 6.0 tuning
I'm definitley interested in your feedback on his tunes. Maybe I need another tune or two
Old 05-23-2012, 03:48 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Ive had his street tune for a couple years now.

Love it. Excellent driveability shifting and power and spot on
Old 05-23-2012, 03:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

Glad to hear it, I gotta drive down to galveston so I'll be putting on 75 miles or so today with his race tune and I'll report back tonight when I'm off of work, or if it's slow and I'm on my phone lol
Old 05-23-2012, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Great report thanks. Tony's tuning is very well known in the 7.3 world but not so much for the 6.0. Glad to hear that you are happy with his tuning. I may have to try his tunes too.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:33 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tony is a great guy.. His tuning on my old 97 was awesome. I would like to have him tune my 6.0 as well . I plan to get a sct in the next couple weeks .

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 05-23-2012, 06:25 AM
Premium Member

hmmm..... Very interesting

I'll keep an eye out for this thread
Old 05-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Serving Our Country!

Updated the first post!
Old 05-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its really good to see that there are new and upcoming tuners emerging into the 6.0 world. When I first bought my truck, i herd of 3 places to go (Matt, Eric and Vivian) in the 2 years ive owned my truck ive used all and jumped on trying files from others as well, including Tony.

These trucks are not all alike, and some trucks like some tunes and hate others. Some tuners can dial a truck in first try, and others will just have a problem truck and get no where. thats just the nature of the beast trying to tune a truck via the internet.

i will be the first to say my truck is picky when it comes to tunes. out of the dozen I have, there is 4 that my truck really likes and runs well on. And i have lots of update files of changes to get other files to run right.

One of these days ill get back to contacting Tony about my file and see what he can do for my truck.

And one of these days when i can rent a dyno for a day, im gonna load up each file and dyno them to get side by side results on my truck.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Serving Our Country!

I loved the srl and looney wild, don't get me wrong lol but I was trying to give a review of Tony's tunes. It is true that every truck is different and that's probably why my mileage sucked with Matt's tow tune and others get descent. I don't have any off vivians tow tunes but I didn't see why I was gettin the same 10mpg as some folks get while towing their 5er.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.