Compatible with Gold Coolant - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 680
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Compatible with Gold Coolant

I just replaced my tstat as it was sticking. I lost more coolant in the process than I realized I would so I need to add some. Do I have to go to the Ford Dealer to get the gold stuff or is there something at my local autostore that I could use? I know all will say to change over to the ELC stuff but my oil cooler is doing fine so I do not want to do a flush and ruin it, I will change over when I need a cooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2deisel View Post
I just replaced my tstat as it was sticking. I lost more coolant in the process than I realized I would so I need to add some. Do I have to go to the Ford Dealer to get the gold stuff or is there something at my local autostore that I could use? I know all will say to change over to the ELC stuff but my oil cooler is doing fine so I do not want to do a flush and ruin it, I will change over when I need a cooler.
I had a egr hose replaced and the dealer didnt add enough gold coolant, the next day Ihad no choice to put in some ELC that says its works with any color coolant. I have a coolant filter and only added a qt or so i think it will be fine untll i do a change later this
year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 680
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I hope to go a few years before I have to change mine. Could I just add distilled water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 05-22-2012, 12:53 PM
War is the answer!


 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Daytona Beach, Florida
Posts: 5,040
Thanks: 101
Thanked 64 Times in 19 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
drain all of it and just fill with the proper mix of ELC. Put on a coolant filter and change the coolant every 100,000 miles. not flushing is better than continuing to run the ford gold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 680
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
drain all of it and just fill with the proper mix of ELC. Put on a coolant filter and change the coolant every 100,000 miles. not flushing is better than continuing to run the ford gold.
I already have a coolant filter. When you say "drain all of it" do you mean still do a flush without the restore? I mean if I only pull the plug and let whatever comes out then refill, there will still be alot of the gold left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I bought some at NAPA. It was recommended to me on here. I believe it is Zerex G-05 or something similiar to that. I lost some during the installation of my coolant filter and had to replace about a gallon. They have concentrated and premixed i believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-22-2012, 01:01 PM
War is the answer!


 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Daytona Beach, Florida
Posts: 5,040
Thanks: 101
Thanked 64 Times in 19 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2deisel View Post
I already have a coolant filter. When you say "drain all of it" do you mean still do a flush without the restore? I mean if I only pull the plug and let whatever comes out then refill, there will still be alot of the gold left.
Yes sorry I meant to use distilled water to get all the gold out and then you should fill with 3.5 gal of elc and top off with distilled water. DO NOT USE tap water anymore. (if you were using it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator


 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,969
Thanks: 3
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by My First Powerstroke View Post
I bought some at NAPA. It was recommended to me on here. I believe it is Zerex G-05 or something similiar to that. I lost some during the installation of my coolant filter and had to replace about a gallon. They have concentrated and premixed i believe.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Ford Gold coolant is properly known as G-05. You should be able to find it in many auto parts stores. Anyone that carries Zerex should have it or can get it within a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors