Did i misunderstand? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canton, Ga
Posts: 694
Thanks: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did i misunderstand?

I bought my '04 250 about 4 montgs ago and pretty promptly installed a coolant filter and CTS. I was seeing 8-10* difference between ECT & EOT. As the warm weather moved in the split jumped to 14-15* and sometimes spiked up to 18*. I took that to be a sifn of oil cooler issues. This past weekend I flushed my coolant system, deleted my EGR, replaced my oil cooler, upgraded the FPS, and the turbo feed/ drain lines. I'm now running Zerex EC-1 coolant. Now I'm still getting 10-12* differences. The temperatures themselves are lower. My ECT is going between 190-192* and the EOT is 202-205*. Before my ECT would regularly get up above 200*, so I see improvements I was just under the belief that after these repairs I should be seeing almost identical temperatures. Ant insight is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Valparaiso
Posts: 528
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did you change the thermostat? You could try that..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Serving Our Country!
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clinton, MS
Posts: 636
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I see nothing wrong with your temperature deltas. There is NO indicator that a delta of 10 to 12 has any meaningful difference than 4 to 6 or any other range under 15 degrees. The only indicator is the one that obviously prompted your coolant flush and oil cooler replacement; greater than 15 degrees. After events such as yours, it is not uncommon to observe these figures more intently too and ascribe additional significance or anxiety to the "perceived" effects. Enjoy your good work.

Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canton, Ga
Posts: 694
Thanks: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yes, new thermostat as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canton, Ga
Posts: 694
Thanks: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jd View Post
I see nothing wrong with your temperature deltas. There is NO indicator that a delta of 10 to 12 has any meaningful difference than 4 to 6 or any other range under 15 degrees. The only indicator is the one that obviously prompted your coolant flush and oil cooler replacement; greater than 15 degrees. After events such as yours, it is not uncommon to observe these figures more intently too and ascribe additional significance or anxiety to the "perceived" effects. Enjoy your good work.

Jonathan
This cracked me up. I DO tend to freak myself out after working on something, but in this case I'm not worried I did the work wrong, just wasn't sure if I misunderstood or mis diagnosed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm kind of with you in this. I had a huge delta (sometimes up to 40+ degrees), so I changed the thermostat and flushed just with restore + and distilled water. After that, I filled with CAT-1 EC, and my delta was less than 20 (and would only get up above 15 after a couple hours on the highway). So I decided to hold off on the whole job.

Then this weekend, I installed a Sinister EGR cooler and rebuilt the oil cooler, updated the turbo oil feed tube, the STC fitting and the IPR screen, and I definitely notice the difference, but my delta hovers around 8-10 from 60-75 MPH on flat ground.

So, I'm definitely happy with the results, I just thought I would be looking at a closer spread after a 12 hour flush.

EDIT: I failed to mention that I flushed with 48 gallons of distilled water and the restore/restore + combo. I then changed the coolant filter and filled the system with Rotella CAT-1 ELC coolant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:50 AM
War is the answer!


 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Daytona Beach, Florida
Posts: 5,056
Thanks: 101
Thanked 64 Times in 19 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thermostat is not needed as his ECT's are normal. I flushed my system with restore and restore+ twice. Once the normal way and once as a reverse flush. I still replace my oil cooler and I currently see my delta's at 8-9 degrees apart. If you got rid of your egr cooler then you should never worry about your oil cooler again unless your EOT gets above 250*. I have seen some that get the same temps after all that work and I have seen a lot that have 8-10* delta after. My conclusion is that all these d@mn truck are different and I think some just run hotter than others.

NOTE: Are you doing the test correctly?

Last edited by WarChild; 05-22-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator


 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,983
Thanks: 4
Thanked 31 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
Thermostat is not needed as his ECT's are normal. I flushed my system with restore and restore+ twice. Once the normal way and once as a reverse flush. I still replace my oil cooler and I currently see my delta's at 8-9 degrees apart. If you got rid of your egr cooler then you should never worry about your oil cooler again unless your EOT gets above 250*. I have seen some that get the same temps after all that work and I have seen a lot that have 8-10* delta after. My conclusion is that all these d@mn truck are different and I think some just run hotter than others.

NOTE: Are you doing the test correctly?
I agree with you that there is no need for a thermostat since his ECT is right where it should be.

I disagree that if you delete the egr cooler you don't have to worry about the oil cooler unless your EOT reaches 250*. Removing the egr cooler eliminates the possibility of an egr cooler rupture and resulting head gasket failure. If your temp delta exceeds 15* it still indicates your oil cooler is clogged and it should be addressed. It isn't quite as immediate a problem since the egr cooler is removed but it is still no longer functioning correctly, your oil temps are higher than they should be and it should be corrected. And remember there is still the possibility of an oil cooler rupture with cross contamination of the oiling and cooling systems which is also an expensive mess to clean up. My Take it FWIW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-22-2012, 01:48 PM
War is the answer!


 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Daytona Beach, Florida
Posts: 5,056
Thanks: 101
Thanked 64 Times in 19 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
I agree with you that there is no need for a thermostat since his ECT is right where it should be.

I disagree that if you delete the egr cooler you don't have to worry about the oil cooler unless your EOT reaches 250*. Removing the egr cooler eliminates the possibility of an egr cooler rupture and resulting head gasket failure. If your temp delta exceeds 15* it still indicates your oil cooler is clogged and it should be addressed. It isn't quite as immediate a problem since the egr cooler is removed but it is still no longer functioning correctly, your oil temps are higher than they should be and it should be corrected. And remember there is still the possibility of an oil cooler rupture with cross contamination of the oiling and cooling systems which is also an expensive mess to clean up. My Take it FWIW.
Truer words have never been spoken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,201
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm sure your ect and eot are about the same in the morning? Right?

Sent from my SCH-I500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors