Higher EGTs with EGR Delete ?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 03:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Higher EGTs with EGR Delete ??

I'm doing my oil cooler and egr delete this weekend. Called several "reputable" shops in my area hoping to get someone else to do the work, but can't justify the cost thinking I'm pretty capable to do it myself... But during my mechanic shopping, I had several shops tell me they don't do the egr deletes any longer due to additional problems after it's removed.. The main reason I get is a lot of customers had a substantial increase in EGTs. I'm wondering why this is. Has anyone had this issue???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 06:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh68 View Post
I'm doing my oil cooler and egr delete this weekend. Called several "reputable" shops in my area hoping to get someone else to do the work, but can't justify the cost thinking I'm pretty capable to do it myself... But during my mechanic shopping, I had several shops tell me they don't do the egr deletes any longer due to additional problems after it's removed.. The main reason I get is a lot of customers had a substantial increase in EGTs. I'm wondering why this is. Has anyone had this issue???
In theory that's true because you're blocking off exhaust gas that's routed back into the intake in order to lower combustion temps. What additional problems are they talking about? Maybe they didn't have head studs and threw a hot tune on it and blew the HG?
Only problem I have since EGR block and studs is keeping tires on it. I probably will need to do the oil cooler soon though.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 AM
Premium Member

Not sure about higher EGT's, but I have heard with the full delete it can have a negative effect on fan clutch operation. So if the fan was not operating properly pulling air thru the intercooler, I guess that could cause higher than normal EGT's.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:43 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's probably not why they don't install them. Of course he isn't going to say they install egr deletes over the phone. What if its someone setting him up and recording him. Just my take. Just delete the cooler and leave the valve, should be all good.

Sent from my droidx using autoguide app
Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2elvis View Post
Not sure about higher EGT's, but I have heard with the full delete it can have a negative effect on fan clutch operation. So if the fan was not operating properly pulling air thru the intercooler, I guess that could cause higher than normal EGT's.

The fan issue is true depending on what strategy your truck has. And yes your egr temps will be a little bit higher with an egr delete. This is why.

The purpose of the egr is to recycle spent exhaust gasses that have no energy left to contribute to the combustion process. So these are hypothetical ratios for the purpose of example but here's what happens. You're tooling down the road at 60 mph. With the egr functioning the cylinder gets filled with 70% fresh air and 30% spent exhaust gas. The computer fuels the cylinder to burn the 70% fresh air and it makes X power. Now you delete the egr and under the same conditions your cylinder is filled 100% with fresh air and fueled to burn that extra 30% fresh air. Result is a hotter burn making more power. X+30% for lack of a better way of putting it. Result is your egt's are a little bit higher. We are only talking about maybe 100* so it isn't a big deal unless you are towing max CVW and on the edge of safe already. Then there are still alternatives to bring the egt's down. Hope that all makes sense.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

They really didn't go into the "problems" other than higher EGT temps and the code throwing. I already have an SCT, so not worrying about the code. They just sounded like they had returns on most of the deletes they did. And these were Sinister's or other reputable kits. But more than 2 mentioned the EGTs rising.. I just hadn't heard anyone complain about that specific issue.. But I guess in theory, it does free up hotter exhaust gases by not going through the cooler..

Most of the shops I called, had no problem doing the delete, legally.. These shops were referrals from others I trust. Most pushed the BPD replacement cooler.. But they would do a kit they purchased or one I brought them.. All wanted the work...
Old 05-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
The fan issue is true depending on what strategy your truck has. And yes your egr temps will be a little bit higher with an egr delete. This is why.

The purpose of the egr is to recycle spent exhaust gasses that have no energy left to contribute to the combustion process. So these are hypothetical ratios for the purpose of example but here's what happens. You're tooling down the road at 60 mph. With the egr functioning the cylinder gets filled with 70% fresh air and 30% spent exhaust gas. The computer fuels the cylinder to burn the 70% fresh air and it makes X power. Now you delete the egr and under the same conditions your cylinder is filled 100% with fresh air and fueled to burn that extra 30% fresh air. Result is a hotter burn making more power. X+30% for lack of a better way of putting it. Result is your egt's are a little bit higher. We are only talking about maybe 100* so it isn't a big deal unless you are towing max CVW and on the edge of safe already. Then there are still alternatives to bring the egt's down. Hope that all makes sense.
Does sound believable... But being I currently have my EGR valve programmed 90% closed by my SCT, shouldnt I already see the higher EGTs??? I run between 700 and 750 degs unloaded...
Old 05-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you turn you egr off with an SCT tune your EGT's won't be any higher with an egr delete. I don't see your EGT's going any higher than 50* over your current temps. No worries. I don't know what the shops you talked to were making a big deal out of.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:27 PM

Well since we are on the subject already what is the pros and cons from doing an egr block plates versus the egr delete reroute kit?
Old 05-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
My egt temp raised by about 50-100 deg. When I installed my egr delete

Sent from my crazy phone that posts behind my back...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.