Possibly getting 04 PSD, just want some opinions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possibly getting 04 PSD, just want some opinions

I am possibly getting an 04 6.0. It has 64,500 miles on it. It seems to run pretty strong, not quite as much power as a stock 07 with 144,000 miles it kind of seems though. It is a really nice truck with a few scratches here and there, the interior is spotless and looks like it has never been sat in, no fifth wheel ever put on it and a one owner truck. The issue is, I didn't really notice it in person but in the pictures that the dealer took of the truck, it looks like white smoke coming out of the exhaust. The truck is all stock.

Used 2004 Ford Super Duty F-250 Crew Cab 156 Lariat 4WD 6.0L V8 For Sale | Lakeville MN .

If the head gaskets aren't leaking and I get an egr delete right away should I still do the ARP studs or wait till the gaskets are leaking?

I should mention that I do plan on doing exhaust and programmer if I do end up getting the truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks like a good truck. Lower miles too. The white smoke in that pic is iffy. Looks like it was rainin in the pic so temperature might of been what showed the white smoke. My 04 does that when its cold outside but I haven't lost a drop of coolant in the 9 months of owning it. And you'll love the sound of the 6.0 with a straight pipe.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am thinking 5 inch straight pipe with 6 inch tip and the SCT live wire system. Good to know about the exhaust color. I kind of assumed that since I didn't see it do that when I went and looked at it.

Any input on when to do the ARP studs? The first things I am going to do is flush the coolant and get the EGR delete kit and probably chop the stock muffler out right off the bat.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would say if your tearin it down for the delete you might as well do studs while your at it.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good point. Might as well make it bulletproof right off the start I suppose. With that low of miles is it crucial that I get the heads checked out? Since I will have it that far apart I will probably clean the turbo out also, would it be smart to rebuild it? I have no idea who the other owners are or how they drove it so I'm not sure how it was driven.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezac View Post
Good point. Might as well make it bulletproof right off the start I suppose. With that low of miles is it crucial that I get the heads checked out? Since I will have it that far apart I will probably clean the turbo out also, would it be smart to rebuild it? I have no idea who the other owners are or how they drove it so I'm not sure how it was driven.
I would get the heads checked out (decked and magnafluxed if they aren't cracked). I have an 04 and took my truck in to get studs put in it (before anything was wrong). When they took the heads to the machines shop we found out both heads were cracked. It sucked that I had to put new heads on it but I would have been even more upset had I put studs in it and then had problems. The guy at the machine shop said it is about 50/50 whether or not the heads are cracked on an 04 (at least the ones they get in).
Old 05-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good to know, I work at a NAPA that has a machine shop so that is the only nice thing in my favor right now lol.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezac View Post
Oh and just put a Non-VGT turbo in it while you have it torn down and your planning on doing exhaust anyway. And don't forget to do they other typical stuff when you have it torn apart (6.4 banjo bolts, blue spring upgrade, rebuild the oil cooler, etc.)

Good luck...looks like a nice truck
Old 05-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Or should I hold out and get an 05?
Old 05-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am still learning about all these mods to do to make it an amazing truck. By non VGT, that would be the durastroke?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.