EOT while towing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EOT while towing

towing the boat down hwy 95, i noticed my eot seemed pretty high. the boat is around 9k. ouside air temp between 75-80*, mostly flat highway

the first part of the trip was seeing around 200-210 water temp, and around 225-230 eot,

later on, running between 70-75 mph, started noticing my EOT was getting up towards 240. Saw it is high as 242.

most of the time i was seeing around 24-26 degree difference between eot and ect.

had the system switched to cat elc last year when i had my headgaskets done. I bought restore and restore + for the shop to use for flushing. i assume they did a complete flush.

I have also been running a coolant filter and have noticed a decent amount of gunk in it when I change it.

Is my oil cooler clogged? when not towing, I was seeing only 5-8 * difference between EOT and ECT

Btw, my egr is deleted.. Oil cooler has about 20k on it.

Last edited by jeffro22; 05-21-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 12:48 PM

I am having the same issue and my boat is only 3k or so. I am at a loss hear I am thinking my oil pump is clogged up. I still need to do an EGR delete as well.

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 05-21-2012, 03:44 AM

bump to the top
Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Your delta can be past the 15* when towing for some birsts. But that seems really high for towing a boat. I towed mine yesterday and same outside temps. I saw 209 and 215.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:27 AM

Towed my boat for the first time yesterday since I bought the truck a few months ago. 6K boat semi-flat ground saw 210 EOT and 206 ECT at most. Have to agree with Galaxie those #'s seem pretty high. Have to say I was thoroughly impressed with my new to me 6.0 and the torqueshift transmission, first PSD I have owned. The torqueshift trans makes pulling a 6K boat like pulling my 2K duck boat.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:48 AM

eot seems to be around 6-9* above ECT when not towing
Old 05-23-2012, 08:47 AM

I posted a similar question awhile back about pulling my camper. It is around 8k and i was seeing an EOT up to around 228. Most told me here that you can throw the 15 degree delta out while towing but i am also wondering like yourself where the top end of your EOT can be before it gets bad. This was the first time I had my CS and towed, so i am not sure where my numbers were previously.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:02 AM

I know there is a limit on EOT before the engine goes into limp mode, does anyone know that number? I'm seeing 8* deltas empty, and pulled my 10k 5th wheel yesterday, 72* ambient, fairly flat, 65 mph, and was seeing 2-3* deltas. I was stoked!!! Just had the egr cooler deleted and a new oil cooler installed. The dealer flushed and filled with the gold coolant so that's what I'm running (with a coolant filter). Coach
Old 05-23-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My First Powerstroke View Post
I posted a similar question awhile back about pulling my camper. It is around 8k and i was seeing an EOT up to around 228. Most told me here that you can throw the 15 degree delta out while towing but i am also wondering like yourself where the top end of your EOT can be before it gets bad. This was the first time I had my CS and towed, so i am not sure where my numbers were previously.
There was a good thread there was a good thread by the member "jetjock" I believe that discussed the upper limits of the ECT EOT range. Don't quote me on this, but I believe he was seeing EOT temperatures in the upper 240 range. I'll see if i can find the thread.

EDIT: Here is the THREAD

Last edited by OUMX117; 05-23-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.