Electric fans - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 05:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Electric fans

I know this topic is like beating your head against the wall but since my stock fan quit working and has set a soft code and the only reason I know that is because I'm a tech a ford and checked with the IDS. What lead me to checking was my ac system acting funny it would blow really cold for a while then warm up a little then back cold in town out on the high way just pure cold. Hooked up our ac machine to truck and with no air movement my pressure on the hot side was sky rocket. Anyways.... I didn't buy the flex a lite kit. I picked up 2 14in pull type fans since the radiator is a little over 28 in tall. I was going to mount one up top in one corner by the air box since that's we're upper hose is and then do the other In the lower passenger corner I was thinking about not making a shroud. Since that just blocks air from moving threw going down the high way good or bad idea?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 06:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here is another good question, would electric fans help on the fuel mileage? To the OP: What you are talking about sounds good to me but would it do much good if you pull heavy loads, ie be enough air to cool things down vs the stock fan?
Old 05-20-2012, 06:19 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
From what I've read. The stock fan pushes 10k cfm and the electric kit I was looking at flowed 5500 cfm. So about half. So I would guess towing heavy is out of the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 05-20-2012, 06:22 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes, there's a reason Flex-A-Lite does not offer a electric fan kit for the 6.0 like they do for the 7.3
Old 05-20-2012, 06:47 AM

theres a guy on here that runs eletric fans maybe he will chime in
Old 05-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by risco View Post
theres a guy on here that runs eletric fans maybe he will chime in
Yes he's on the forums lots but his name escapes me at the moment. I do recall he said he had no issues.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 AM

i hear a lot about people saying no issues, i do not tow at all this is my dd and go fast truck , the only reason i'm going electric is because of the fact my electric clutch fan no longer works, my question is do i have to build a shroud to cover the radiator or can i just make brackets to hold the fans? i figure no shroud then it can always have air moving threw it going down the high way
Old 05-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Personally I would fix the stock fan and keep it. There is no way that electric fans will move the kind of air that the stocker will. If you are intent on doing the electric fans I think a shroud is a trade off. I think it will help cooling I stop and go traffic but somewhat restrict air flow through the radiator at highway speeds. Everything is a trade off. If you don't tow you can probably get away with the electric fans.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:46 AM

Nope I never tow. Was really unsure of the point of a shroud. And no the electric fans don't move anywhere near the amount of air the clutch fan does

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 05-20-2012, 09:00 AM

i run two 16" s-blade fans with no shroud - but it's on a 7.3. the damm thing never gets warm and i only use the fans when towing or stomping on it going up grades and in traffic sometimes. but i only tow about 5000lbs when i do and it's hardly ever. when they come on it cools right down quickly. if u decide to run em - make sure u have them both come on at the same time. i played with staging and the duty cycle of the first one on was too long compared to short bursts with both. manual overide is nice to keep air moving through the i/c at stoplights too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.