just picked up an 03 6.0, where do I start? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 06:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
just picked up an 03 6.0, where do I start?

I just picked up a 2003 6.0 F250. I have read a lot of info on this site and it's quite overwhelming. It has 117k and I have no history on what was done to the truck previous to me. Just curious what I should start with as far as maintenence and trying to prevent any type of head gasket failure that seems to be a common problem with the 6.0s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to White7.3stroker
If it were me i would do a egr delete for sure just to get that out of the way before it give you trouble but then again it may never give you trouble..but i dont have a 6.0 i just know what my buddys have done! Maybe a 6.0 guy help you out! Is the truck stock as far as you know? No tuner,exhaust, intake that will prolly help these guys help ya out!
And Welcome to the Org!!
Sent from my DROID X2
Old 05-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Emergency Services

First off get a monitor so you can find out what you need to do. If you've read a lot you've seen something on the importance of gauges and you ECT/EOT delta.

After you know your oil cooler situation you can start making plans. You might want to change the fluids and filters (oil, trans, etc.) if you don't know when they were done.

Post up some pics of the truck!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:48 PM

The truck is pretty much stock from what I can tell, the only mods I see are superwinch manual lockers unless that came standard on the powerstrokes. There is also a K&N but I may go back to stock on that because I am not sure it's the right one for that truck, it just doesn't look like it was made for my motor.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermedic View Post

First off get a monitor so you can find out what you need to do. If you've read a lot you've seen something on the importance of gauges and you ECT/EOT delta.

After you know your oil cooler situation you can start making plans. You might want to change the fluids and filters (oil, trans, etc.) if you don't know when they were done.

Post up some pics of the truck!
I will post pics tomorrow, any special place to get gauges? What gauges are most important on the 6.0?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also Just picked up a stock 06 F250 6.0 It has 76,000 OTC. I got the oasis report before I even bought it. The good news was that the Engine and turbo were replaced 30k ago! bad news is Ford puts a new LB in so its like starting from fresh! It does have updated TSB for HPOP and EGR Cooler! My question is I have the SCT X3 and I run the street tune. I am Amazed!!!! by the power but hold back from pouring the coals to her! My street tune was set up by Mike from Sinister. I adjusted my line pressures and my shift points and all is good I want to prevent any problems from happening my dash has Tranny temp, ECT temp I want to add EGT gauge and Oil temp to keep a close eye on everyone! any suggestions on a good gauge set or should I just buy the Insight and be done?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Emergency Services

Your most cost effective way to get gauges is with the Scangauge or Edge Insight. Both will monitor everything you'll need and read and clear DTC's. The Insight CTS is the most expensive choice but has a touch screen so it's a bigger screen to show your data on. The insight CS is not a touch screen so the data is a little smaller. The Scangauge is the least expensive, smaller screen like the Insight CS and if you want to add fuel pressure and EGT sensors it's a little more work that the Insight (if I understand correctly). I have the Insight CTS, I wanted the bigger screen, and it paid for itself on the test drive when I bought the truck. Since then it's paid for itself again when my FICM went and again when my alternator started heading south.

If you were to buy regular gauges for everything you wanted to read it'd cost you a lit more than the Insight CTS and you wouldn't have anything to read and clear codes. If you like the look of gauges then by all means get some but the monitor is still an essential tool.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You could get sct livewire that u can put custom tunes on later down the road itll let u monitor the truck and will save u money so u don't have to buy tuner and gauges. That's what I'm gonna do. Then egr delete and straight pipe is a good place to start. I'd say oil cooler, studs and head gaskets should be next on the list after that. I would look in to coolant filter as well. Its expensive to do all that but if u have the cash they r definitley the mods to start with as far as reliability goes.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree my research has led me to the CTS plus it has the A/v input for my back-up camera! Thanks for the advise and your opinion! I just ordered my lift and my shocks and Steering stabilizers! (truck sits to low!)
Old 05-17-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogers7870 View Post
You could get sct livewire that u can put custom tunes on later down the road itll let u monitor the truck and will save u money so u don't have to buy tuner and gauges. That's what I'm gonna do. Then egr delete and straight pipe is a good place to start. I'd say oil cooler, studs and head gaskets should be next on the list after that. I would look in to coolant filter as well. Its expensive to do all that but if u have the cash they r definitley the mods to start with as far as reliability goes.
Are headgaskets that common that I need to replace them as preventive maintenence?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.