Exhaust Pressure Sensor 2005 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 11:32 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust Pressure Sensor 2005

Just thought I'd share some things I learned about exhaust pressure sensors on model year 2005 6.0L engines.

Let me first start off by saying I didnt even know what an exhaust back pressure sensor was untill about a week ago. I kept getting a p0470 code after a problem that immediately started. Symptoms were identical to running out of fuel or clogged fuel filters. Sputtering, lack of power, ect. What the heck is this. Asked my father inlaw (ASE master) and he never heard of an exhaust pressure sensor. So after a lot (I mean ALOT) of reading on this site and google I figured it just needed cleaning, and boy it did. After following directions via a link I found on this site on how to clean the tube and sensor it fired right up and idled just fine. (might I also add thet my sensor was not in the location prescribed in the instructions, it was located on the top of what appeared to be a stainless hard tube coming from the top of the drivers side exhaust manifold eventually being located on the drivers side of the block tucked under the coolant resivoir.) I took it for a drive and immediately noticed a lack of power, now its not making any boost. Took it home and found more codes. P0470, p0472, and p0478. Along with a super/turbocharger under boost code. Wtf. So thinking I damaged the sensor by not following the directions correctly while cleaning it, I asked my father inlaw to order me a new sensor beings he works at a Ford dealership. This is where it gets good... He asks for my vin# and production date (Jan 2005) so he could be positive he ordered the right part... Well... There's two differant sensors, and even the ford dealership could figure out which one to use. I get a phone call asking if I remembered what the sender looked like. Lol. Not really, so I guessed along with my father inlaw and we both guessed wrong. Lol. Theres two sensors and I new they switched sensors sometime in 2005 but we couldn't figure out what I had untill it was taken apart. The only physical differance was the thread pattern. One sensor had an NPT fitting, the other had a flare. My Jan 2005 built f350 had the flare.

So now the trucks in the shop pulled apart waiting for the right sensor and I find this.

So... Now what. I'll just order a new pigtail.... And it gets really good... You can only get the connector / pigtail for that sensor IF YOU BUY THE ENTIRE WIRING HARNESS. I almost fell over at the parts counter. Keep in mind I am at a ford dealership. Then I find this...

So who's to say I even have a bad sensor. I'm gonna replace it anyways but here's the plan...

I cut the female connector of the old / mock up sensor so I could see what was going on when I tried to plug the sensor in. Well to sum it up it didn't plug in.
I used a screwdriver to force the connector together the correct way.

I'll silicone or epoxy it onto the new sender for final assembly. Now that the connector will be permanently affixed to the sensor I'll need a new disconnect.

Look what I found! Lol, off an old wiring harness in the shop. Gonna install it so I have a means of installing/removing the sensor.

Long read.... But I'm still waiting on my parts, lol, just thought I'd share. I don't do much postiing but I do alot of reading. Maybe this will help someone.

Last edited by ToLows10; 05-16-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This stuff happens. I have a 2005 as well and my EBP sensor is exactly where you describe it to be. That is exactly where I expected it to be. It's possible that one of the vendors has a pigtail for that sensor that you can splice into the harness. I know I have seen them for the VGT solenoid on the turbo. Hope it runs better for you when you get it sorted out.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:23 PM

Well, got her fixed. Didn't do it exactly the way I said I was but this is what we did and it worked.

I cut half of the female end of the connector on the new sensor off. Only cut have off that way I had something for the silicone and tape to grab onto, but I could still use a small screwdriver to force to connector pins into alignment. I also wrapped the busted wires (missing insulation) with electrical tape then wrapped the entire bundal of wires in several layers of eletrical tape.

Then I sealed the entire connection all around with silicone.

I let the silicone set up for about an hour then I wrapped it in (along with the wires again) a ton of eletrical tape.

Ran the sender and wires back under the coolant resivoir and reinstalled the sender.

If I would of had the other style fitting I would have needed to install a new disconnect to install the sender because the other style sender has a NPT fitting and would need to screw into a fitting. My flared style sender was able to stay stationary (not twisting wires) while the flare nut underneath was tightened.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:34 PM

Lol I just looked at the pic in your sig pgreen. Lol that's my truck same color and all.

I wonder if the HD editions have the sensor located in a revised position, I couldn't find anything on the location. At least not where mine was.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToLows10 View Post
Lol I just looked at the pic in your sig pgreen. Lol that's my truck same color and all.

I wonder if the HD editions have the sensor located in a revised position, I couldn't find anything on the location. At least not where mine was.
I doubt that there is any mechanical difference in the engines. That is where the EBP sensor is supposed to be.

Yeah, when I went looking for my truck that is exactly what I wanted. Didn't consider any other year or color lol.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does the truck run different when these are going bad? i had a code for this sensor a couple times this year when it was colder than 10deg and it was missing even it was warmed up. Now my truck seems it has a little more off idle turbo lagg.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:23 AM

Yea that's was how mine started more turbo lag, weird exhaust tone, hard cold starts, then instant loss of power/barely running. I originally thought this problem stemmed from my powermax turbo and programmer installation as the symptoms started almost right after I installed my new turbo. It was weird cause I didn't get the p0470 code untill the truck barely ran. It started with a (can't remember the code #) MAP/barometric pressure correlation code which lead me in the wrong direction untill the exhaust pressure sensor got completely clogged/failed. I knew something was up because I replaced the MAP sensor and still had a MAP sensor code. It's my understanding thet all these sensors need to be within 1/2 a psi of one another or they start throwing codes. Why a faulty or dirty EBP sensor threw a MAP sensor code in my situation shore beats the hell out of me????

Oh... maybe someone can answer this:
I had all of these codes at the SAME TIME and never got a check engine light. Even when the truck was barely running. (and yes the light comes on with the ignition on engine not running key position)

MAP/Barometric Pressure Correlation
Super/Turbocharger Overboost
Super/Turbocharger Underboost
Exhaust Pressure Sensor
Exhaust Pressure Sensor Low Input
Exhaust Pressure Sensor High Input
Fuel Level Data Error

Last edited by ToLows10; 05-17-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
do you want me to ruin your day and give you the part number for the pigtail?

5C3Z-12224-A

it's the same one for the ICP sensor
Old 05-17-2012, 07:35 PM

Well damn....
Old 06-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToLows10 View Post
Yea that's was how mine started more turbo lag, weird exhaust tone, hard cold starts, then instant loss of power/barely running. I originally thought this problem stemmed from my powermax turbo and programmer installation as the symptoms started almost right after I installed my new turbo. It was weird cause I didn't get the p0470 code untill the truck barely ran. It started with a (can't remember the code #) MAP/barometric pressure correlation code which lead me in the wrong direction untill the exhaust pressure sensor got completely clogged/failed. I knew something was up because I replaced the MAP sensor and still had a MAP sensor code. It's my understanding thet all these sensors need to be within 1/2 a psi of one another or they start throwing codes. Why a faulty or dirty EBP sensor threw a MAP sensor code in my situation shore beats the hell out of me????

Oh... maybe someone can answer this:
I had all of these codes at the SAME TIME and never got a check engine light. Even when the truck was barely running. (and yes the light comes on with the ignition on engine not running key position)

MAP/Barometric Pressure Correlation
Super/Turbocharger Overboost
Super/Turbocharger Underboost
Exhaust Pressure Sensor
Exhaust Pressure Sensor Low Input
Exhaust Pressure Sensor High Input
Fuel Level Data Error
Was thinking the same thing in my head the other day. I believe the reason almost no one, ever see's the check engine lite on the 6.0. Is if they did, it would go against the EPA. No one would ever pass emissions tests where located. My truck has codes all the time. Yet i can still pass emissions and get my plate sticker. Just passed one today with my 98 crown vic, had to disconnect the battery for about 10 min or so to get rid of the check engine light. Passed with most sensors not ready LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.