Big drop in fuel mileage? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Big drop in fuel mileage? Updated.

Hey guys new to the forum . Fuel mileage dropped over 100 miles per tank. Fuel light came on at about 330 miles on tripometer, 95% freewAy driving. Here is a little background on the truck. New injectors 1 year ago, full bullet proof kit installed 6 months ago along with new oem turbo, and new hpop.
Now the drop came right after bullet proof, turbo and hpop install. As I dont drive my truck but on the weekends, I wanted to give her a fighting chance before I talk to my tech. I have only put fuel in her 4 times since bpd install.
Any thought as to what could possibly be the issue before I take her in? I am going to do an oil change and get an oil sample to see if I have fuel in my oil ( the reason injectors were replaced to begin with.) but keep in mind this drop in mileage happened after the other installs 6 months later. I check airfilter, all is good there.
Anybody is welcome to chime in. She runs like a champ, and I dont smell anything out of the ordinary on the ol dipstick.

Thank You
Brad

Last edited by bradaxo; 05-18-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Adding to thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Serving Our Country!

Did you get a strategy reflash? The newer flashes all produced poorer fuel economy (and power reductions) in the effort to preserve engine longevity.

Jonathan
Old 05-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jd View Post
Did you get a strategy reflash? The newer flashes all produced poorer fuel economy (and power reductions) in the effort to preserve engine longevity.

Jonathan

I will have to ask the tech that worked on the truck. Is a flash typicaly something just a dealership does or is it pretty common in other shops? I did not have it wrenched on at a dealership.

Thank you
Brad

Last edited by bradaxo; 05-15-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

just out of curiosity check how long it takes for your oil to get to 185*
make note of ambient temp., ect, and eot at startup, time it with a stopwatch till 185*
i would really like to know to compare to a situation i have here thanks
Old 05-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Emergency Services

I believe it's just the dealer (never really thought of an independent doing it and I don't see why or how they would, too many vehicles out there to know what to update). If the truck was in for a diagnosis they may have done it then.

How's it starting and idling? What's you FICM voltage while cranking and just after start-up?

Oh and
Old 05-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for the replies and welcome. The truck absolutley starts and runs like a champ. I think l might have figured out the problem. At least one locked front hub maybe both. Last time l went fourwheeling was not to long after l had BPD kit installed. Hence the thinking it had to be related. I have had the truck for almost three years and the pva solinoid has never worked, so l just manualy lock hubs when going fourwheeling (which is not often, l just dont want to spend the eighty bucks for said solinoid). So long story short l discovered the hub/ hubs were locked. I unlocked them the last time fourwheeling but at least one stayed frozen. You would think a guy would have noticed but NO I WAS JUST DUMB ENOUGH TO NOT FIGURE IT OUT TILL NOW. I just finally put 2 and2 together, lesson learned. I had two different techs confirm(and got a pretty good laugh) that the locked hubs could very well be my issue. So l will run a test and see.
Oh yeah took hubs out and lubed , the passenger side was a bear but l got her. Plan to ditch these auto lockers and get some manual Warns.
I thought l said long story short............. Sorry guys.
Thanks
Brad

Last edited by bradaxo; 05-18-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Emergency Services

lol... well at least it's figured out! It's always the simple things that are the hardest to figure out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.