Turbo surging Pics and Video inside. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 07:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Turbo surging Pics and Video inside.

Well I am still stumped on this. I had a thread started a few weeks back describing my surging/pulsing/wooshing problem and most people were leaning twards the VGT actuator being bad. This has been going on for a few months after cleaning my turbo and has been getting progressively worse. It alwas did it untill the motor was at full temperature then the surging goes away. The truck still had good power at WOT and the surging was not noticeable. It was mainly an issue at half throttle from 30mph and up.

Well I got a used actuator basically for free from madpowerstroke, thanks again! After I pulled mine out I set them side by side and noticed they are a little different.

My old one is on the left and notice the screen area on the new one and also it is a tiny bit longer. I went ahead and swapped them out without cleaning the new one and my surging got worse. It was alot faster surge and didn't go away when it was warmed up like the old one did. I decided to pull it back out and cleaned it with carb cleaner, let it dry and no difference. Here is a video with the new one after I cleaned it. This is a 0-75mph run at 50% throttle. You can gear the surging noise coming from the turbo the whole time and you can also hear the exhaust note change with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDOmh...ature=youtu.be

I am stumped, I am 99.99999% sure mad wouldn't give me a junk one so I'm guessing the VGT isn't my problem. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Garrett,makes different vgt actuators,the one I sent you was out of a powerstroke I had.The only thing I can think of is to check all the piping,for air leaks,than take turbo off and disassemble the turbo to make sure everthing is within specs,no sticking vanes and such.Hope that helps out.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:19 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What codes were you throwing. Sounds like what mine.was doing.when.my icp was going bad.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:17 PM

Update, when I went back out to the truck an hour after I posted this thread I noticed some oil under the truck. Looks like its pissin out the hole that the VGT slides into. I thought maybe it wasn't seated in all the way so I lightly tapped it with a rubber mallet and it didn't move. I drove to work an it ran perfect! The surging was comepletely gone but......... its still leaking oil. The rubber mallet must have somehow made the actuator work?

So now the issue is why is it leaking oil? When I took the old one out I had to grab it with some pliers and pull pretty hard to get it to pop out. The new one went in very easy and pulled out easy. Do I not have it in all the way? I figure if not it wouldn't run right, either that or one of the O rings are bad. I will check in the morning.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:55 PM

Well I got another update, not that anyone cares but here goes. I must have ripped one of the O rings when I put it in, swapped one out and no more oil leaks. When the truck is cold there is a slight surging still but way better than the video. I would say its about 90% gone so I'm pretty happy. I am going to get a new ICP sensor for chits and grins. A cheap preventitive repair in my eyes.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:37 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the one on the left is a old style VGT the one of the right is a new style.

2005 update look at page 2 of the PDF for information
Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235a4 View Post
the one on the left is a old style VGT the one of the right is a new style.

2005 update look at page 2 of the PDF for information
Thanks for the info, seems to be working ok, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.