Turbo issue after bpd install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 11:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo issue after bpd install

I just installed the bpd oil cooler and egr cooler on my 05. I've never done anything like this ever on a vehicle. Most I've ever done before was a valve cover gasket an a GMC Sonoma I4. Took me about 20 hours to do it until I went to add coolant and had a leak. I had to undo the whole job................just to find out that I forgot to put the o ring on the egr cooler At least the second time around it only took me 10 hours to take apart and put back together. Truck pretty much started up right away and only sputtered a second then idled fine. But i was hearing a whooshing sound from the turbo. was starting to think that the y pipe wasn't on properly then all the sudden the whoosh went away for a few seconds then the truck sounded with the normal exhaust tone for a few seconds then back to whoosh. It seamed to cycle like this a few times. Any thoughts? There wasn't any boost pressure on the turbo. When I stepped on peddle for a bit my monitor started to show pressure building but nothing really. The truck does have an aftermarket exhaust and air intake. I haven't taken it out for test drive yet but will tomorrow at least to gas station, she's a wee bit low. At the moment truck turns on and off no problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 04:52 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like the turbo vanes were cycling. You probably still have a leak.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisgto View Post
I just installed the bpd oil cooler and egr cooler on my 05. I've never done anything like this ever on a vehicle. Most I've ever done before was a valve cover gasket an a GMC Sonoma I4. Took me about 20 hours to do it until I went to add coolant and had a leak. I had to undo the whole job................just to find out that I forgot to put the o ring on the egr cooler At least the second time around it only took me 10 hours to take apart and put back together. Truck pretty much started up right away and only sputtered a second then idled fine. But i was hearing a whooshing sound from the turbo. was starting to think that the y pipe wasn't on properly then all the sudden the whoosh went away for a few seconds then the truck sounded with the normal exhaust tone for a few seconds then back to whoosh. It seamed to cycle like this a few times. Any thoughts? There wasn't any boost pressure on the turbo. When I stepped on peddle for a bit my monitor started to show pressure building but nothing really. The truck does have an aftermarket exhaust and air intake. I haven't taken it out for test drive yet but will tomorrow at least to gas station, she's a wee bit low. At the moment truck turns on and off no problem
Check the pigtail that goes into the front of the turbo. The wires might be exposed and touching one another- this happened to me after my BPD install.

I still need to find a spare pigtail and splice it in.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

those damn exhaust clamps look great on paper( i am sure thats what the ford engineers said), but a bolt up turbo exhaust flange would be sooo much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisgto View Post
Old 05-12-2012, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The v-band clamp is a good secure clamping system and quite typical in turbo setups. But you have to make sure everything is lined up and not depend on the clamp to draw things together. You won't make any boost just revving the motor in park or nuetral, it needs a load on it to spool the turbo. Check all your connections plus the hose to the map sensor from the passenger side of the intake. Things will sound different due to the egr delete.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
The v-band clamp is a good secure clamping system and quite typical in turbo setups. But you have to make sure everything is lined up and not depend on the clamp to draw things together. You won't make any boost just revving the motor in park or nuetral, it needs a load on it to spool the turbo. Check all your connections plus the hose to the map sensor from the passenger side of the intake. Things will sound different due to the egr delete.
I didn't do the delete. I live in California so I went with the cooler for emission laws
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.