How are reliable are the 6.0"s? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 06:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How are reliable are the 6.0"s?

I am looking at getting a new or newer truck and I have come across a few 2006 F250'S with decent/low mileage and a good price on them, I am considering them and would like to know how reliable they are? I know of the horror stories, I have read about them and have been very skeptical of having one because of this but after looking at the new trucks I am not sure if I can justify the high price of one and may go with a good used truck instead. I have read about the
EGR Delete/Oil Cooler, Head Studs/Gaskets and Coolant Flush also. I have read about Gauges and would like to know where you guys are buying them from?
I would like to hear from some of you that have these trucks. I have a neighbor that has one and had it since new and it seems that he had no problems with it,
I have always liked the trucks but did not like what I have read and heard about them. I have had diesels before so this would not be a first.

Last edited by nolafishr; 05-11-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's either a hit or miss. Took care of mine religiously but sprung leaks like the Valdez around 85k.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:48 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Isn't there a sticky for this? Get an oasis, but even that might not show you everything. Its a good motor and trans, helps if you know someone that knows the motor or you have a dealer with a competent diesel tech. If you can shore the known issues up yourself, even better. Probably a little more reliable than 6.4's right now but if you wanna go fast look into the 6.4.

Sent from my droidx using autoguide app
Old 05-11-2012, 08:55 AM

i would suggest finding a reputable diesel shop, who is w ell experienced in the 6.0. Find out what they will charge to inspect the truck for you. Have them print out their tests so you can have them. I would guess a couple hundred bucks should do it, and that way you know what you are getting into.

things like deltas, ficm voltage, fuel pressure, ICP pressures, testing the injectors, etc e tc etc will go along way with telling if their are any problems.......imho......
Old 05-11-2012, 09:55 AM

It's a good idea to check the delta's but in all honesty I didn't have any way to check them when buying my 6.0 so I just got a Carfax and an Oasis and they looked good so I bought it and it's been the best truck I've ever owned. Had it for two years now and I have ran the dog snot out of it, pulled things with it, daily drive it, road trips, it's never let me down. However I DO stay on top of maintenance! With a 6.0 you can't let it slide like on a 7.3!
Old 05-12-2012, 08:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Mine rocks.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I have had TONS of problems with mine..dropped about 7k into the motor with new heads, ARP's, BPD full kit/EGR, etc. I am now having carrier bearing issues/tranny issues. I have replaced turbos, alternators, fuel pump. I think I should have it pretty ironed out after rebuilding the tranny but we will see. I would never buy another 6.0 again. If you don't have a good paying job I would not get a 6.0. I maintain mine religiously but still have had all the 6.0 woes. At this point I am considering trading it in and buying a brand new dodge or Chevy. I don't know if I would go with another ford again after all the problems I have had with this one.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:10 PM
back to business

I love mine, have had almost no issues (recently replaced the turbo, around 80K miles) but other than that, just regular maintenance. I would'nt hesitate to drive mine across the county and back right now.

That being said...... If I was in your position, I'd be trying to find a 6.4 that was in my budget , but that's mainly because I'm jealous of the power they can make
Old 05-13-2012, 12:20 AM

Put arp head studs in and delete egr cooler and you will basically have a bulletproof truck. But it all boils down to how you treat it and how your luck is. Some people just have bad luck and baby their truck and have every problem in the world. Then some people beat on their truck and never have a problem. Then you have people who beat on their truck and complain when someone goes wrong knowing it's their fault.

But I say go for it I love mine. Studs are not necessary if your not going to tune it though.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:01 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Had mine for almost a year with 90k miles on it now, tuned with no studs. No problems, love it. I'm very meticulous with maintainenance though. And I don't beat on it EVERY day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.