Battery light flashing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery light flashing

My battery light has been flashing when I cold start my truck.

It flashed erratically and then after 30 seconds to 2 minutes it turns off completely. It won't do it after the truck has been warmed up and driven or while driving.

At idle the voltage reads 13.83 and with the A/C and Radio blasting it went down to 13.55.

I'm thinking it may just be a fuse or a lose ground cable. I just can't seem to find where the grounds are or what fuse it could be. Batteries are two weeks old as well.

Last edited by Jingoist; 05-10-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 178
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Saw something similar, but not exactly like this once due to bumping the exciter wire connector on the top of the alternator -(I had laid across the engine on a blanket to work on a turbo) anyhow it was making intermittent contact and caused some funny stuff with battery light. Worth checking quickly, thats the only idea that comes to mind outside of what you already mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 4,259
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have the same issues. it is the alternator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 PM
War is the answer!


 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Daytona Beach, Florida
Posts: 5,040
Thanks: 101
Thanked 63 Times in 18 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Its ether your batteries going bad or an issue with your alternator. Get your batteries checked and then you will know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-11-2012, 04:38 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!




 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 5,945
Thanks: 154
Thanked 149 Times in 118 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
Its ether your batteries going bad or an issue with your alternator. Get your batteries checked and then you will know.
+1

I had the same thing happen; Alternator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
Its ether your batteries going bad or an issue with your alternator. Get your batteries checked and then you will know.
Well the batteries are brand new. I'm just stumped as to why the voltages are still acceptable, and it only happens when on a cold start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!




 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 5,945
Thanks: 154
Thanked 149 Times in 118 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingoist View Post
Well the batteries are brand new. I'm just stumped as to why the voltages are still acceptable, and it only happens when on a cold start.
Your voltage regulator is starting to crap out. Unfortunately, it is part of the alternator, so the alternator needs to be replaced or rebuilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuzz78 View Post
Your voltage regulator is starting to crap out. Unfortunately, it is part of the alternator, so the alternator needs to be replaced or rebuilt.
I just did a cold start right now, voltage was 12.58 cold, batteries went down to 10.60 while cranking, hit 12.2 until the alternator kicked in and then went up to 14. There was no battery light this time.

These voltages were all taken on the battery terminals. And like I said before, once I start driving the light never comes back on.

Is there a way to test the voltage regulator?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!




 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 5,945
Thanks: 154
Thanked 149 Times in 118 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingoist View Post
I just did a cold start right now, voltage was 12.58 cold, batteries went down to 10.60 while cranking, hit 12.2 until the alternator kicked in and then went up to 14. There was no battery light this time.

These voltages were all taken on the battery terminals. And like I said before, once I start driving the light never comes back on.

Is there a way to test the voltage regulator?
Yes, pull the alternator out and have it tested by a reputable alternator repair shop. Don't go to those autopart stores, their tests only last 5-10 seconds and our regulators show problems after that time, so their tests never show it.

I know it's not what you want to hear right now, especially after dropping a few hundred on new batteries. But we have been through this before and it ends up being the alternator. I chased and tightened grounds, replaced batteries, and had to go through 3 different alternators (autozone duralast crap) before the problem was solved. Save yourself time, effort, and headache and go get your alternator repaired or replaced. Try and stay with a Motorcraft alternator...
Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuzz78 View Post
Yes, pull the alternator out and have it tested by a reputable alternator repair shop. Don't go to those autopart stores, their tests only last 5-10 seconds and our regulators show problems after that time, so their tests never show it.

I know it's not what you want to hear right now, especially after dropping a few hundred on new batteries. But we have been through this before and it ends up being the alternator. I chased and tightened grounds, replaced batteries, and had to go through 3 different alternators before the problem was solved. Save yourself time, effort, and headache and go get your alternator repaired or replaced. Try and stay with a Motorcraft alternator...
Good Luck
I had the batteries replaced for free under warranty, so that isn't a big deal, neither is taking out the alternator. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors