Front axle U joint questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front axle U joint questions

My u joints at the steering knuckles have grease zerks. Is there a specific type of grease for these? How much grease should I add? I'm worried that if I add too much that I'll just expedite their demise.

My steering will randomly stick while driving and require a physical yank on the wheel to regain control. In the 10k miles that I've owned the truck it's only done it a dozen or so times, but it is scary driving 40mph on a twisty mountain road and having the steering stick. I can not get the issue to repeat and it normally happens just off center when going from a slight left curve back to center or to a slight right curve, but not at full lock.

I took it into a shop that claims they checked everything from stabilizer to ball joints and could not find a problem in the steering components.

Searching this site and others, my guess is that I have a u joint at the front axle to knuckle junction that is binding up at a certain angle.

Did they come stock with zerks or could these be poor quality replacements?

With it being so infrequent I'm hoping that greasing them up will cure the problem and if it doesn't then replacement is in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i have a similiar issue but different. When driving on a turn the wheel kind of momentary sticks then lets go doing this several times but only while turning at speed. After the turn everything is fine. I have had mine checked out by two different ford garages and neither found any problem. This problem has been slowly getting worse for about three years and i think it had to do with lack of lubrication to some of the steering components. Have you fixed yours yet?
Old 07-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I added some grease to the zerks and it hasn't happened as often, but it still does occur. Let me know if you figure yours out.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:36 PM

the ony zerks i can find are on the ujoints for the front axle. mine dosent have any on the ball joints or other point that i can find in the front end. Am i missing something?
Thanks
Old 07-14-2012, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Guys, your simptoms are leading RIGHT to seizing front U joints.

1. any grease is better than no grease.

2. you cant really over grease, you will see it come out. just make sure the rubber boot is ok and not comprimised.

3. you can see if these are locked up. Make sure your truck is out of 4x4 and see if they are free. You should easily turn the u joing with no bounding.

4. if they are locked, its a hell of a job. you will need the correct tool from Ford to put the seals in correctly. All the stuff is expensive.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:50 PM

Thanks, but the only zerks i can find on mine are the ones on each end of the front axle by each wheel.

Best wishes
Britt
Old 07-14-2012, 08:45 PM

The oem u-joints, made by Spicer, do not have zerk fittings on them. The Spcier units I purchased from NAPA are the exact same as the oem units I took off my truck.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think if it is seizing up on you, it is time for a replacement. No amount of grease is going to reverse the effects of no grease in the u-joint over time.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:54 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanix View Post
I think if it is seizing up on you, it is time for a replacement. No amount of grease is going to reverse the effects of no grease in the u-joint over time.
Very true......unfortunately.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-15-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm635 View Post
The oem u-joints, made by Spicer, do not have zerk fittings on them. The Spcier units I purchased from NAPA are the exact same as the oem units I took off my truck.
I was incorrect. I bought new u-joints from the dealership and they were manufactured by Spicer - same one's from Napa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.