Just a couple of things - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 05:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just a couple of things

First off id like to thank everyone for all the great info i'm gettin here and all the help people are offering. I bought an early 03 F350 6.0 build date was 03-03 and im getting mixed signals from everyone about it. Some say that the early ones were great and had a great egr system and some say not. I dont know who to believe. i would appreciate some input on that. Also, i am doing a coolant flush on my truck this weekend and have found a potential coolant replacement and would like to know if anyone has used it before. It is a "Final Charge Global Extended Life" coolant. Siliacate free, Phosphate free, nitrate free, and borate free. It meets CAT EC-1 requirements and states that its good for 600,000 miles. All info would be appreciated thanks a bunch guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'll throw my 2 cents in. I just did the EGR Delete on my '03 engine. The EGR Cooler itself looked great! It used the cooling tubes inside the round cooler just like the aftermarket EGR coolers do. Maybe not quite as beefy, but same theory. I guess the later square coolers used radiator style fins inside.

That being said, the thing that kills EGR coolers the the component directly upstream from it, the Oil cooler. That thing gets plugged up with junk in the coolant. Once it is clogged, you don't get enough coolant going down to the EGR Cooler, and it melts down. I would imagine just about any EGR cooler would melt down if it wasn't getting any coolant flow.

So, that being said, there are only two fixes that I know of. Either way, you've got to keep that oil cooler clear so the EGR can keep coolant getting to it.

Here's the cheap fix. First, check your Coolant to Oil Temp deltas. If they are 10 degrees or under driving down the road at highway cruising speed, you're oil cooler is okay. (probably) Install a coolant filter to pull debris out of the coolant to make sure it stays okay. If your deltas are not okay, you're going to need to first, replace the oil cooler, then check the EGR cooler to make sure it hasn't ruptured (Pull the EGR valve and see if it is wet), and then install a coolant filter.

A lot of people at this point also delete the EGR cooler. Because if the EGR cooler melts down, and you're pumping hot exhaust, and steam into your cylinders you can blow your head gaskets.

The expensive dream fix would be to install the true "BulletProof" kit from BulletProof diesel that would replace the oil cooler with an external cooler that sits in front of the radiator, replace the EGR cooler with their beefed up cooler. Oil System Then I'd go ahead and install the coolant filter from Performance Machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.