Towed the camp trailer, a few questions..? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towed the camp trailer, a few questions..?

This weekend we went fishing and hauled the camp trailer. It is a bumper pull that weighs approx 5,000lbs fully loaded. I had used the tow tune by Vivian with the Jake Brake. The truck seemed to haul good and I think everything went well. It was about 250 miles and 3.5 hours each way on a lot of mostly flat land, but there was a few large hills.
Here are the questions I have:
A couple of times this trip on the long or steep hills the ECT would hit 230 degrees and the EOT would hit 240-242 degrees. It was also 95 degrees outside. Is that too high, is there something I should be worried about?

Also I noticed that the truck would "turbo fart" almost all the time when I would let off the pedal. It doesnt do it that much when the truck isnt towing or when it is tuned with the looney tune instead. Is the "turbo farting" a result of the towing, the tow tune, ???

I was also towing the 5,000 lb trailer at about 65-70 mph, tried to keep it under 2000 rpms except for on the hills, and over all I was trying to be easy on it. I only got 9 mpg, I was hoping to get better than that with the tow tune and a light trailer. Does that mpg seem low for what I am towing?

Thanks,

Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 08:26 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Im not sure about those temps they seem a bit high to me but everything else seems normal. You can get the air shock spring helper thing and you will get a bit better mpg. What state are you in?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Will
The temps are a little high with ECT at 230* and EOT at 240-240* but it still under the 15* spread did you hear the fan come on mine come on around ECT 212-214* sounds like a jet plane. The highest that i have seen pulling my 14k 5er temps running ECT 218* EOT 228* pulling a 7% grade about 6 miles long in 90* weather and i get 9mpg and solo i get 18.4 by hand, not the lie-o-meter.
2 stroker
Old 05-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine made a fart sound towing 5k under engine braking in tow haul when thhe exhaust backpressure in the EGR cooler would pressurize the cooling system, blew out the egr cooler on that trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.