Deal or no deal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Deal or no deal?

So I have been trying to sell my fj cruiser trd for about half a year. I'm trying to get a good price out of it being I'm not rushed to sell it and i don't owe anything on it. It has an arb bumper, warn winch, lights, 3.5" adjustable lift and 33" bfg all terrains that are almost brand new. The mileage is 88,000 and its in pretty good condition. Few parking lot door dings and minor scratches that would probably come out with just some wax. Anyways I've had a few offers of $18500 and I thought I had it sold last weekend for 19700. I'm really looking for 20000. Ive got the itch to get a 05-07 f250 4x4 crew with leather interior with 120k or less. This weekend I had a guy offer to trade me his 05 f250 with 150k on the clock. It's exactly what I've been wanting, but I feel the milage is too high. I'm getting ready to apply to med school and it will be at least 5 years before I have any good income, ill mainly be living off student loans. I'm looking for pretty much a straight up trade or to spend very little. My main question is, would this truck last me 5 years with out having to pretty much rebuild the engine. I plan on doing the egr delete, gauges, exhaust, banjos, fuel spring, stc fittings, switching to cat elc and Sct with custom tunes. Over the past 4 years I've averaged 18000 miles a year. So I'm thinking in five years it'll have around 240k or so on it. What is everyone's input? Is it a good possibility ill be throwing a lot of money at it towards new Injectors and what not? Should I hold out and see if I can get 20000 or a little less for my fj, then find another truck with lower miles? Just looking for some advice cause I've got the itch to get a f250 real bad. I've always wanted one. Thanks in advance for your input! Oh and I do all my own mechanical work so anything id be doing to it would be only cost of parts. I also just sent my scan guage off to have the new firmware installed so I can hook it up and monitor ficm voltage and oil vs water temp so I know those will be good. This is one of my.first posts, but I've been religiously reading posts here for a while haha.

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free

Last edited by troger11; 05-06-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 06:04 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
No one here is going to be able to tell you that. If your going.to be going.to med school.my advise would be.to get a.prius or somethis really good.on.gas. I personally would keep to the FJ. You could always just keep it and get a motorcycle. I.dont.recommend the 6.0 to students of any kind although I love my truck.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My best advice to you is to keep what you have or get rid of it for something more economical. The 150k miles doesn't concern me but the plain fact is that these vehicles are neither cheap to own or operate. Diesel fuel is expensive and we get crap for mileage. An oil change every 5k or 6k miles is $100-$150 depending on whether you us junk oil or good synthetic oil. Cheap oil will likely haunt you with injector issues. Fuel filters every 10k, transmission flush every 30k, $1000+ for tires. It goes on an on.

If I was living on student loans I'd find a more realistic vehicle until I was out of school and making money. You'll live better for those 5 years and then you can get what you want.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Good advice WarChild.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd do the same thing, unless you can realistically afford it.
My truck was given to me when I turned 16. Yea, it's needed work, and I've payed for all of it, and honestly would be better off selling it and getting something that makes more sense. But I won't. However, I can keep up the truck like it should be.
Off student loans, I really don't think it'd be worth the hassle.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the advise! Haha not exactly what I was wanting to hear haha but never the less I do appreciate it. Haha I will die before I drive a prius and working ems has made me sacred s***less of motorcycles. I can swing fuel cost cause my fj gets 15 mpg as it is now, and when I ran the numbers its not much more if I can realisticaly get 17 or 18 mpg out of a diesel. I was more so worried about when normal stuff starts wearing out on the 6.0 engines and having to swing 2 grand for Injectors or a new turbo. I would def run high quality oil. The only thing I've put in the fj has been mobile 1 synthetic and royal purple. its like more of an obsession I have with having a f250 then anything else. I will also have some support from the parents if anything major was to go wrong. I'll be 25 this year and I've wanted one since I was 15 and now the opportunity has arisen. So any thoughts or advise on what ranges things start to go wrong, or is it just pretty much a craps shoot?

Old 05-06-2012, 07:19 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You should take a look at THIS thread
Old 05-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks warchild, I've read that thread before. There is a lot of good info in it and it is extremely thorough and well written. Do you think its feasable to say it would be more hassle then its worth owning a 6.0. I know several friends with duramaxs and they hardly ever have problems, but they also bring a 3 to 4 thousand dollar more resale amount and its hard to find one with less then 200k miles in my price range. I'm also selling my 4 wheeler and a hot tub so ill have some extra cash, and for the next year while applying to school ill be working and saving pretty much all I make working as an aemt.( haha although ems personal don't make much. It's sad cause they do so much and make so little)

Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Oh, not saying I want a duramax. I've just been around them more the powerstrokes. I've always and always be a Ford guy. Previously I had a 1998 f150 4x4 and a 2000 f150 4x4 which I drove from 90k to 186k through high school and half way through my BS degree in college. Oh and the other thing is I have an 82 cj7 I've just got to finish rebuilding the front end on (already out and torn down, just got to order new bearings and seals) and ill have that to drive too, so if something were to happen.... Just as long as I didn't have to make a long out of town trip id be ok. Sorry for the life story, I'm really just trying to justify my obsession with financial reality.

Last edited by troger11; 05-06-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Well to go Lang with what pgreensvt said its expensive to own, operate and maintain, but they sure are fun lol. If you know what your getting into its not a big deal, but since you will be in school, people will wanna share rides in your truck, not pay fuel, and it gets old lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.