2005 6.0...Are there any tell tail signs of abuse - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
DOC54's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 6.0...Are there any tell tail signs of abuse

First off great forum, I can't stop digging through the threads trying to learn.

Here's my question. I am looking at a 2005 F250 6.0 turbo, I know that there has to be something I can look for to see if the truck has been cared for. Like in Ford Lightnings (thats the world I come from) you can pop a couple lines and see if it's been sucking oil it's whole life, and a lot of other little things. I just am looking for a little advice of some tell tale signs that it is going to be a project. More of a project anyway, I bought my Lightning as a daily driver and didn't stop building it till the day it was totaled and now after reading about all the HP/TRQ you Powerstroke guys are getting I see studs and a lot of other goodies in my near future .

Truck has 101000 miles and is for sale in a small car lot that deals in auctions, I will get no history about the truck.

Should I be worried about the miles?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F250#2.JPG
Views:	626
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	37674  
DOC54 is offline  
post #2 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Shallowater, Texas
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
get the VIN and go to the local ford dealer and ask them for a Oasis report, its free !


Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC54 View Post
First off great forum, I can't stop digging through the threads trying to learn.

Here's my question. I am looking at a 2005 F250 6.0 turbo, I know that there has to be something I can look for to see if the truck has been cared for. Like in Ford Lightnings (thats the world I come from) you can pop a couple lines and see if it's been sucking oil it's whole life, and a lot of other little things. I just am looking for a little advice of some tell tale signs that it is going to be a project. More of a project anyway, I bought my Lightning as a daily driver and didn't stop building it till the day it was totaled and now after reading about all the HP/TRQ you Powerstroke guys are getting I see studs and a lot of other goodies in my near future .

Truck has 101000 miles and is for sale in a small car lot that deals in auctions, I will get no history about the truck.

Should I be worried about the miles?
lubbock guy is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Premium Member
 
turbotibbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
look for coolant splatter on the degas bottle (puking) if it is puking expect to be doing egr cooler or head gaskets there is tons of things to look for . go to the tech section and there is tons of info you should read before buying a 6.0 i wish i had read it before i bought mine ...i got lucky tho as i have had no problems yet ....good luck

2006 ford f350 xlt cclb
blue spring mod
6.4 banjo bolts
gogo direct cluth solenoid
Insight cts with pyro
str8 pipe , fuel pressure gauge
air raid cold air
zoodad mod
high idle mod
sinister coolant filter kit ec-1 rated
58 volt ficm
powermax turbo , sinister y pipe
egr delete
sct x3 with running looney wild , spd early lock up
arp studs , updated stc fitting ,stand pipes,
dummy plugs , new oem injectors
turbotibbo is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator


 
PGreenSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 18 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
PGreenSVT is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
DOC54's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbock guy View Post
get the VIN and go to the local ford dealer and ask them for a Oasis report, its free !
Word, that will be my first stop while on the test drive tomorrow.


Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotibbo View Post
look for coolant splatter on the degas bottle (puking) if it is puking expect to be doing egr cooler or head gaskets there is tons of things to look for . go to the tech section and there is tons of info you should read before buying a 6.0 i wish i had read it before i bought mine ...i got lucky tho as i have had no problems yet ....good luck

I better get back to reading, thanks for the advice. Starting to get scared about it after what I have read
DOC54 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Premium Member
 
turbotibbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC54 View Post
Word, that will be my first stop while on the test drive tomorrow.





I better get back to reading, thanks for the advice. Starting to get scared about it after what I have read
i say dont be scared , lots of people get scared of the 6.0 and sell them cheap to get rid of them ....imo its makes for a great deal for people like us who no what to look for and how to fix the problems the 6.0 have . i think they are great trucks with looks and plenty of power . if you do get it your best friend wil be the powerstroke.org . i have found loads of info and it has given me the courage to work on my own 6.0 ....i am thankful for the org

2006 ford f350 xlt cclb
blue spring mod
6.4 banjo bolts
gogo direct cluth solenoid
Insight cts with pyro
str8 pipe , fuel pressure gauge
air raid cold air
zoodad mod
high idle mod
sinister coolant filter kit ec-1 rated
58 volt ficm
powermax turbo , sinister y pipe
egr delete
sct x3 with running looney wild , spd early lock up
arp studs , updated stc fitting ,stand pipes,
dummy plugs , new oem injectors
turbotibbo is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Deere Diesel Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rabun Gap, U(GA)
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Dont be scared. Just take it slow and do your home work. Its kinda like asking that hot girl that you like out. Mines been fun both good and bad, but I wouldn't give you anything for it!!

IF its not a Deere, It must be a Puss!! Livin the Old Age!
2011 F250 Bone Stock

Deere Diesel Man is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome