Looking at 6.0 - tan sludge? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at 6.0 - tan sludge?

Hey guys, I have been browsing this forum for a while now while in search of a new truck. And I would first like to say thanks for all the tips and pointers I got when looking through threads.

Now I think I found a truck that I may be interested in, its a 2004 f250 ecsb with 149k on the clock. I went to look at the truck and I did not spot any leaks on the underbody or the ground. It looked like there was a little oil residue from a while ago on the intercooler boot but other than that it looked good.
Now to my question, I stuck my finger into the degas bottle and pulled it out and the coolant appeared to be gold. I stuck my finger in again until it hit bottom and I pulled it out and it had some tan looking sludge on it. That is the only thing I am worried about does anyone have any clues or ideas on that sludge?
There is also a fifth wheel hitch in the bed and it sounds like the PO used it to tow horses on his farm. I read somewhere these trucks like to be worked so is that a good thing?
I did read all the threads about what to look at when buying a 6.0 but I got several different responses about the sludge.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated, thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
This is a pretty good read:

Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
Old 05-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Premium Member

I have read that a few times. I am assuming its a plugged up oil cooler? Does that sound correct?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tan sludge could be silicates that have come out of the coolant, especially if it's never been changed since the factory. Could also be the think milk-shake sludge you get when oil gets in the coolant, which could indicate an oil cooler with a small leak.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The oil sludge should float though. Probably the silicates from the coolant. As him for proof of the last time the coolant was flushed or replaced. If he's never done it, knock a grand off the price because that oil cooler is not long for this world
Old 05-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Oh yeah
Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
If you're serious about purchasing a used 6.0L, you may want to invest in a scangaugeII. It will give you a pretty good idea of what condition the engine and it's components are in before you buy. You really want to see what the difference in temperatures are between the coolant and oil. The closer you get to a 15 degree separation between the two, the more plugged the oil cooler is.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

The guy hasn't owned it long, maybe a month or two. Before then it was owned by one owner who traded it in, so no records. Is there anyway to tell the difference between silicates and oil? I don't have anywhere where I can readily get a scangauge or an edge insight.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korx View Post
The guy hasn't owned it long, maybe a month or two. Before then it was owned by one owner who traded it in, so no records. Is there anyway to tell the difference between silicates and oil? I don't have anywhere where I can readily get a scangauge or an edge insight.
I would consider it a red flag that someone is trying to sell a vehicle they purchased a month or two ago... What changed his mind?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korx View Post
A. See if you can get a dealer to give you an OASIS report on the truck.
B. There are tests for coolant that will tell you what's in the coolant be it hydrocarbon-based or something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.