4x4 WON'T DISENGAGE!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 06:51 PM
USMC 0311

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4x4 WON'T DISENGAGE!!!!

Ok guys like the title says, my 4x4 wont degengage. Had to lock it in to pull a trailer today in a field, everything worked fine, then when I was ready to leave the 4x4 wouldn't disengage. I have the electronic shift on the fly. Oh and truck is an '06. Tried putting it in neutral holding brake and switching it...no good, tried letting it roll forward and backward and switching.... no good, tried letting it roll and shifting to neutral and switching it... still no good, Checked all the fuses that have anything to do with the 4x4 they all seem good. Had the wifey try it while I smacked the T-case actuator motor with a hammer, and still nothing. Im all out of ideas. Any one got anything else to try? Need to get this fixed, I have a 700 mile trip next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattc0508 View Post
Ok guys like the title says, my 4x4 wont degengage. Had to lock it in to pull a trailer today in a field, everything worked fine, then when I was ready to leave the 4x4 wouldn't disengage. I have the electronic shift on the fly. Oh and truck is an '06. Tried putting it in neutral holding brake and switching it...no good, tried letting it roll forward and backward and switching.... no good, tried letting it roll and shifting to neutral and switching it... still no good, Checked all the fuses that have anything to do with the 4x4 they all seem good. Had the wifey try it while I smacked the T-case actuator motor with a hammer, and still nothing. Im all out of ideas. Any one got anything else to try? Need to get this fixed, I have a 700 mile trip next week.
Did you ever put it in reverse?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
has happened to me a few times on my 05, i hate the esof.

have you tried to disengage 4x4 while driving like 15-20 mph? another shot try and manually unlock the hubs and then switch the knob off. the vaccum lines may be going out.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 PM

I know this sounds dumb but the my father in law had the same issue. The fix? Drive backward longer. His was stuck in 4lo, I did the same things, checked fuses, pulled actuator it looked good blah blah. Drove backward about 1000' feet and it made a good awful clunk noise and went into 2wd. To the best of my knowledge it has not had any further issues. Good luck, i hope everything works out.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 PM
USMC 0311

I never had to lock the hubs they were on auto and it was only in 4hi not 4low. Yea tried switching going down the road at like 15-20mph I had to drive it home in 4hi and was messing with it the whole way. I did try it in reverse but I didn't go very far. I guess I will try and back up farther.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:03 PM
USMC 0311

Oh and someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think if it were the hubs sticking or a vacuum issue the 4x4 light would go off but the hubs would stay locked. This doesnt happen, the light stays on, meaning the issue is in the T-case.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 PM
USMC 0311

Anybody know how to take the T-case actuator motor off and disengage 4x4 manually?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:31 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
they can be a pain sometimes, put it in park, then nuetral, then forward slow, then back slow, then nuetral, then park, that will pop her out. Mine will come out of 4high on the go, but to get out of 4Lo i have to do the procedure above.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 AM
USMC 0311

Old 05-01-2012, 09:50 AM
USMC 0311

Ok now I'm pissed... Tried everything listed above and nothing works so in an attempt to see if it was the actuator motor I switched it to 4lo and wouldnt ya know it it went to 4lo. But now the damn thing wont go back to 4hi let alone 4x2. So, now I know my actuator motor is good so its got to be a relay that reverses the actuator.... right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
4hi, 4x2, 4x4, actuator, disengage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.