Good Luck Bad Luck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good Luck Bad Luck

Tell me what kind of luck have you all had with the 6.0? Good, bad, ugly, how many miles?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
No issues other then 1 injector, got it replaced under warranty. Thats it in 132k.

133k Today the motor came out doing head gasket's, bed-plate gasket ect...
Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've only had mine for 8 months and only thing I've done is replace a cam position sensor other than regular maintenance.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Bought truck, 168000 miles for $10000.
Found out on here I had bad oil cooler.
My deltas 30 degrees apart.
Installed BPD oil cooler and no problem since.
Many other mods except studs.
Good luck or bad luck I don't know but I do love my truck.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think I have had pretty good luck, but my wife thinks differently. Bottom line is if you want to play, you will pay. 40,000 miles of mine, 2 injectors, 1 icp sensor, other than that normal maintenance for a truck with 136000 miles (ball joints, alternator, shocks, brakes)
Old 05-01-2012, 04:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds almost exactly like mine bought it for 10000 w/ 170000 miles on it. Found out it had a bad oil cooler, so when I replaced it I had the mechanic go ahead and delete the egr. I only use it to haul my Rv once every 2 months or so. Other than that it stays parked in the back yard. My curiosity is sparked by the fact that we took it camping to destin fl several weeks ago and it broke down on the way home (fuel pressure reg). Left me my wife and 3 kids in a cracker barrel parking lot. I was just wondering if this is something I need to worry about every time I take it on a long trip or was it just a fluke

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 05-01-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU View Post
Tell me what kind of luck have you all had with the 6.0? Good, bad, ugly, how many miles?

Hah. I'm discovering owning a 6.0 has nothing to do with luck. It has everything to do with knowledge. Best way I can describe it is owning a saltwater aquarium. Salt water aquariums require less work than a planted freshwater tank. But the work they require HAS to be done, on a regular schedule, or the whole system crashes. Hence saltwater aquariums' reputations for being 'difficult to keep' compared to freshwater.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:53 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Diva View Post
Hah. I'm discovering owning a 6.0 has nothing to do with luck. It has everything to do with knowledge.
EXACTLY!!! That says it all right their ^^^^^^^^^
Old 05-01-2012, 05:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My luck has been bad and ugly, so far.

Bad: I bought my 07 F250 at 130k miles. It's a great looking truck - which it'd better be, considering all the trouble I've had. It developed a slight knock that I thought was an injector sticking, and the knock gradually increased. (It threw a code for the injector.) I changed the oil, and decided to order some RevX. The truck refused to start when I stopped at a gas station on the way to work. Work is 225 miles from home, and I was about 20 miles from work. I had the truck towed to the Ford dealership. 133k miles on truck now. I was wrong about the injector being the problem.

Ugly: Truck is towed to Hub City Ford in Lafayette. The truck's under warranty, so I tell them to do what they have to do. It's not getting oil pressure, so they check out the oil pump. Needle bearings in the oil pump. The warranty company says they won't cover anything until they have the root cause of the failure, so the motor has to be torn apart. So, engine comes out and is disassembled to get to the lifter that failed. Warranty company looks at it and says it's a preexisting condition and refuses to cover anything. So, I have the truck towed back to Texas.

I dropped the truck off at a shop in Houston, and it's been issue after issue. Not with the shop, but with the motor. First they were going to use my block, but the lifter bore was damaged. Then my cam is damaged. Then they couldn't find a block for an 07. The turbo had too much shaft play. Then when they put it back together, it doesn't get enough oil pressure. They'd reused my front cover, and the oil pump face was scored, so it didn't make pressure right away. The shop had spares, so they replaced it.

The truck should be out tomorrow, but it's been in the shop for 3 months. It's more than a little frustrating, and it's really, really expensive. I did have the usual precautions taken in the rebuild: Studs, headgaskets, EGR delete, new oil cooler. I also had a 3788 turbo and SCT X3 put on it. All in all, I just want it to be the reliable truck that a Ford is supposed to be.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:00 AM

this is why I went ahead and did the 8900.00 short block. the deeper they dug the worse it got. once it got to where they were going to have to start doing things that wouldnt go toward the installation of the short block I decided to cut my losses.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.