Turning your egr off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turning your egr off

Without deleting your egr what is the point of turning it off i and buying an sct probably tomorrow if not then wednesday for sure and i ve heard you can turn off the egr just wondering whats the benefits to this do you gain any better fuel mileage or power????

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 05:43 PM

I would like to know myself. But I guess if your egr valve was acting up you could turn it off and get away wih it for a short time or to get you home. But the coolant will still flow thought the egr cooler I do know that.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
FYI, Fantom is selling a SF3 for $275, check out the for sale section on this site.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:02 PM

Good one lilpooh I didn't even think of that. And he said its never been on a truck yet I believe. He said he bought it and never tuned the gold truck before it got wrecked. He also is selling an edge insight to monitor with. He is asking $250 OBO for the edge insight. But I'm sure if you bought both he would cut you some kind of a deal.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Turning the egr off with a custom tune causes it to remain closed thus stopping the exhaust gas from recirculating. It does no harm but you can get blow by at high boost levels. I have had mine off for three years with no issues. It would be best to get a delete kit but I personally would not put one on until you are ready to do head studs.

That price is KILLER! I paid 300 for mine and thought I got a deal.

I highly recommend custom tunes from Innovative Diesel Performance.com and Beans Diesel Performance.com
Old 04-30-2012, 07:04 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
why would not do an egr delete without studs?

i've had an egr delete on my truck for about 10k miles now and no problems. i do not have a tuner and i always stay on top of the maint and i never abuse my truck. it's not the factory bolts that are the problem it's pretty much everything else.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxc View Post
why would not do an egr delete without studs?

i've had an egr delete on my truck for about 10k miles now and no problems. i do not have a tuner and i always stay on top of the maint and i never abuse my truck. it's not the factory bolts that are the problem it's pretty much everything else.

In my humble opinion it is a major deal to remove all the stuff to get to the egr cooler for the delete and while you are that deep it only makes sense to do it all while you are in there. I would also recommend getting the Black Onyx head gaskets as well. The are far superior to stock gaskets. It is a huge cash outlay to do it all, but I feel you would be better off and I would sleep more soundly knowing it was all taken care of. I agree the problem is not the studs per say it is the non existant quality control of the head manufacturing process. The 6.0 heads are ridiculously not up to snuff. The newer ones are much better than the 03, 04's but still not as they should be.

You get good and bad in all things but some of these motors blew driving across the street that is why the have such a bad reputation, that being said I drive mine like I stole it and have never had an issue on stock everything except the fuel pump.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

There are very few people that use Black Onyx HG's due to a high failure rate. Don't just take my word for it, search the many PS forums. Or call some of the large diesel performance shops like NADP and BPD they use OEM. As cool as it may sound to say I have "Black Onyx" head gaskets just use OEM HD's. A lot of guys do just an EGR delete and not HG's while their at, why, because to do the HG's is a MAJOUR undertaking. The delete, on the other hand, can be done in a day. I've been driving with a delete for over three years now with absolutely zero problems. Don't get me wrong, if you have the time and money by all means do it all at once. As for the heads fresh from your local Ford dealer, I wouldn't install them without getting them checked out for straightness.

Last edited by Term3; 04-30-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

ive been driving 20000 km with my egr unpluged . i have no problems thus far mabey a little turbo flutter once and a while . i even see a small reduction in egts ...mabey thats just me ? i belive having it unpluged will keep att the soot from getting in the intake manifold . it may even save the head gaskets from going if the egr cooler should fail ....i am just building the curage up to do the delete ... x two about the black onyx gaskets i have heard nothing but bad things about them
Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotibbo View Post
ive been driving 20000 km with my egr unpluged . i have no problems thus far mabey a little turbo flutter once and a while . i even see a small reduction in egts ...mabey thats just me ? i belive having it unpluged will keep att the soot from getting in the intake manifold . it may even save the head gaskets from going if the egr cooler should fail ....i am just building the curage up to do the delete ... x two about the black onyx gaskets i have heard nothing but bad things about them
Read this.
Side effect of disconnecting EGR valve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.