Transmission fluid in coolant! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission fluid in coolant!

Well, I pulled into the gas station with the wife yesterday and saw coolant running out from under the truck. I was sick just from that sight, after studs, gaskets, deletes, oil cooler and injectors(twice).

I got home and took the cap off and it spewed everywhere and you could tell it was oily. I first thought oil cooler but since it was not milky, I quickly guessed I had a cracked head.

I have been sick for the past day and night. My mechanic buddy came and looked at it. I told him it just seemed to thick to be diesel. But with the ELC coolant it was all red.

Well he asked had I checked my tranny fluid. Sure enough wasnt even touching the dipstick. He says that the trans cooler in the radiator probably ruptured.

Anybody else ever saw this? Maybe not to hard of a fix, but dang sure a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I got bad news. This happened to me on a gas truck and your going to have to clean out the transmission and coolant lines. I think you will have to rebuild that trans by the time it's taken apart to clean it. The clutch packs will never be right and you will keep mixing the contaminated water that's in the transmission back through the new radiator. This will cause the trans fluid to be contaminated with water and eventually the trans will fail anyway. You'll never get all that watery fluid out of the transmission without taking the transmission all apart. Sorry for the bad news.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:50 PM

I really dont think any has gotten into the trans yet. I hope not anyway! It was shifting great. I am hoping there was enough pressure from the trans to keep any from going that way. I will check the trans tomorrow and see what it looks like. I parked it as quick as I noticed the overflow!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Yeah your radiator has failed. You can either replace it or send it out to get fixed if you can find a reputable radiator shop. Then you have to flush that mess out. Pm me your email address and I will email you a set of directions for cleaning oil out of the cooling system on a 6.0.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy650 View Post
I really dont think any has gotten into the trans yet. I hope not anyway! It was shifting great. I am hoping there was enough pressure from the trans to keep any from going that way. I will check the trans tomorrow and see what it looks like. I parked it as quick as I noticed the overflow!
Your trans is prob ok! The trans line pressure is higher than that of the cooling system. This is why the cooling system is full of trans fluid. Replace the rad & pull the t stat. While you have your tstat out fill the block with simple green(two gallons) and water. top off with water and run up to temp(you may have to repeat this step more than once to remove all the contamination) Good luck
Old 04-30-2012, 06:09 PM

get a new radiator IMHO there are some upgrades out there
Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 PM

All-Aluminum Radiator Ford Power Stroke Diesel 6.0

From a great Sponsor you have this option
Old 04-30-2012, 06:27 PM

Yeah I already have a radiator ordered. supposed to be in, in the morning. Also have a gallon of simple green in the bed. Plus 4 more gallons of CAT ELC. I am gonna go broke if I have to keep buying this ELC. But it aint nearly as bad as a set of heads so I m tickled.

PM Sent forddieseldoc
Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Replied. You need 2 quarts of vc-9 from your local dealer and 3 gallons of simple green from wherever.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:16 AM

Thanks for the procedure ford doc. Is the VC-9 the same as the Restore Plus? I cant remember. I have about a half a gallon of Restore and half gallon of Restore Plus from a buddies truck I flushed a while back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.