Need help truck with problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 04:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help truck with problems

Ok so to start of with I got this truck its a stock 04 F250 with a k&n filter that came with it and 198k miles on the truck, So anyways I have had the truck for about 8 months and Im starting to have problems. Ill start with I got the truck and the guy that had it just took of the end of the xhaust from right under the rear of the cab where it bolts together he was supposed to give me that stock part but couldn't find it. The other day It started blowing white smoke (Friday) for about a mile or till its warmed up. then I was told to take it to the shop so today (Monday)when I woke up I started it and started driving and when I stopped at my wifes work I noticed it was smoking or steaming from under the hood, I got out and opened the hood and the hose (Coolant overflow hose) that has the Y piece and 3 hoses connected was broke. So what could be the problem or can cause this problem. Could this be a clogged oil or Egr cooler, or something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Fix the Y piece and go from there. Typical causes of smoking like that are injectors sticking (stiction) and a FICM going bad.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:03 PM

Any other opinion what what its might be, I was thinking would it be that the Egr or oil cooler got plugged and that cause pressure in that line some how?
Old 06-01-2012, 05:33 PM

Ok so I checked my oil a while back but been to busy to post, any ways I found water in my oil and steam coming from my dip stick. What other reasons other then a blown head gasket.. Would a blown head gasket be the only reason. Something the truck does wrong is no power nothing over 3k rpm, white smoke most likely coolant smell, doesn't wasn't to start abs when it does its quite then the diesel rocking sound comes in, and I think that's it.. Any help would do...
Old 06-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You have excessive blowby and/or a cracked block IMO.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:49 PM

Damn that would suck is there any ways to check for that?
Old 06-01-2012, 05:59 PM

I put a hose on the dipstick and attach a magnehelic pressure/vacuum gauge to the hose. I make the hose long enough to read in the cab (and you can partially close the hood so it doesn't pinch the hose. You need to be below 0.3 psi crankcase pressure.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:31 PM

Let me correct my previous post .......

I guess an EGR cooler failure can put enough water in a cylinder that the resulting steam (from hot cylinders) can get by the rings and mix with the oil. I don't beieve that that is all that common though - but it can happen and look like blowby, etc.

Also found this:

............... check behind the water pump on the front cover. The casting sand and silicates that plug an oil cooler will also eat away at the front cover (the water pump impellers sandblast it). When this happens, the coolant has only one place to go, in the pan! You can change a thousand blocks and heads but if you use the same front cover, you always have a problem.

Last edited by bismic; 06-01-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:54 PM

Cool now that sounds more like something I would think I would hear. So it might not be the hg cause someone said it could also be a failed injector and i'm trying to track the problem down.. I need to figure this out its my only transportation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.