New to me 6.0 powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile New to me 6.0 powerstroke

Bear with me newbie here as well as to psd. I got 05 6.0 bought very recently seems to run good but a bit concerned about egts it cruises on highway with no load on at 800-900 at 60 mph it does have edge attitude it doesn't change much for egt regaurdless of stock level one two or three. 4 inch magna flow exhaust. Getting 25 pounds of boost regaurdless what level it's on. Also any tips on checking health of engine before I start spending money on egr cooler. Electric fan. New oil cooler. The truck is very high mileage 200,000 miles. Thanxs ahead of time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Serving Our Country!

First off, most will tell you to ditch the Edge and go with an SCT programmer. SCT has a much better track record on these trucks.

Second, you will want to get some gauges. You could go mechanical or digital. Personally, I went with the Scangauge II. It reads everything you need for this truck, except EGTs. Lucky for you, you seem to already have an EGT gauge. One of the main things you are going to want to monitor is the difference in temps between your ECT (engine coolant temp) and your EOT (engine oil temp). You don't want them to be great than 15* apart while traveling between 60 and 65 on a FLAT road.

Third, thats not high mileage for these trucks.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have ordered autoenginuity so I can check ficm and eot vs ect. As well as do a cylinder contribution test. Have heard act will help tranny service by increasing pressure to clutches. The only negative I'm having is lots of cranking before start and the what seems to be higher then most egt
Old 04-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymonddwire View Post
I have ordered autoenginuity so I can check ficm and eot vs ect. As well as do a cylinder contribution test. Have heard act will help tranny service by increasing pressure to clutches. The only negative I'm having is lots of cranking before start and the what seems to be higher then most egt
The longer cranking could be bad batteries, bad ficm, or just plain ol cold weather.

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 04-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

i would recomend the fpr (blue spring ) update it gives you more psi on the fuel pressure in most cases its needed . do some research on it and you will see its the first thing i did to keep the injectors happy . and depending how you feel about it you could change out your ford gold coolant and use some cat rated ec-1 elc and a coolant filter . it will help keep your new oil cooler from pluging up . good luck with your new 6.0
Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've already flushed out the gold for cat elc but this spring upgrade haven't read much about it will deffinatly look into. I don't know a lot of history on truck. Studs are supposedly done last year told its stock and trouble free other then that but we've all been told things before. So far I love the truck. Put 08 mirrors on Turbo leaking oil internally. High egts. Slow starts. And very faint diesel smell when I turn heat on that I really can not seem to locate source of. Are the only issues I've found with truck. Was a Chevy guy figured I'd give the psd a shot so far happy
Old 04-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm planning on egr delete. New oil cooler. Electric fans. Now blue spring upgrade. Just want to know its not gonna blow up couple days after spending 2000 dollars on it
Old 04-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymonddwire View Post
I'm planning on egr delete. New oil cooler. Electric fans. Now blue spring upgrade. Just want to know its not gonna blow up couple days after spending 2000 dollars on it
imo the 6.0s are great trucks but need to be maintained according to the manual . i also run full synthetic and rev x . do u have stock tty head bolts or head studs ? getting rid of the egr cooler is somthing i need to do as well . i think you will learn to love your 6.0 and never go back to gm .....happened to me lol i love my 6.0 wouldnt change it for the world
Old 04-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm told studs but don't know for sure I've read a lot of people on here use rev x
Old 04-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

if you pop the hood go to the drivers side fron fender . there is a small spot where you can see the bolt or stud thats clamping down the head . do a search and mabey someone else can discribe it better but if it was me i would be finding out for sure cause it cost alot to get done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.