Bulletproofing for College :nod: - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Post Bulletproofing for College :nod:

School is out and I'll be going off to college at the end of next month.

My truck has taken the beating of its life through the high school years. Fortunately this forum has helped me keep my truck running strong and saved me from making stupid choices that would have caused me to blow my engine and transmission by now

I have come to realise that all the racing, burnouts, mudding, curb hopping, and plane brutalness I have given my truck will eventually catch up with me so I have deiced to give it a little bit of love and make sure this thing lasts through collge with minimal problems. I will be about 5 hours from home (no garage, limited tools, and no place to really work on my truck except on occasional visits back home for holidays and such) so I can't have anything happening while I'm up there. I have decieded to do a mini-bulletproofing of my truck and clean it up a bit to ensure it will last though college.

I get out of school on May 8 and leave for college June 20 so in that time I plan on doing the following. It will start with a tear down of the top of the engine.

1. EGR Delete/Cooling System Flush (I have a pinhole in the back weld of the EGR cooler that is leaking down my block. It has gotten progressively worse in the past few weeks and I have added about 3 gallons of water (distilled) since. I may also add that I will never be buying Ford Gold Coolant again I got a new oil cooler and egr cooler under warranty about a year ago and Ford flushed the engine with VC-9, I also have had a coolant filter on the truck for the past 5K miles and on both changes the filter was very clean, so I am not too worried about clogging up my oil cooler with just a distilled water/VC9 flush and switch to CAT EC-1 ELC (which I am picking up today after school )

2. Clean The Turbo (Since the turbo will be coming off I figure I might as well go and see how the internals look. It was cleaned by the dealer when the EGR was replaced but I want to take it apat myself and see just want it looks like in there.)

Then everyhitng will go abck together with new gaskets on everything, fresh 5W-40 Full Syn Oil, CAT EC-1 ELC, new filters (oil, fuel, air (all Motorcraft))

I also want to paint a few things to make the engine compartment look a little nicer. I'm thinking of painting the CAC tubes the grey color like the Banks Kit and the Inatke Elbow bright red.

All opinions and ideas are gladly accepeted, I want your guys ideas and input on this. I will be doing a write-up and posting everything I do on this thread as I go.

Wish me luck.

Last edited by mazsecond; 05-21-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 PM

Just picked up my coolant from "Pantropic Power CAT" in Ft. Lauderdale Florida!

The concentrate was $25.79 a gallon.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:46 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ill be following this thread. I am actually planning on doing the same thing this summer when I go back to school for the next level of my apprenticeship. Ive been making a list of all the parts I am going to need and been ordering them whenever I have some extra cash. One thing I noticed you didn't mention was the upgraded turbo oil lines if you don't already have them.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0DSLPWR View Post
Ill be following this thread. I am actually planning on doing the same thing this summer when I go back to school for the next level of my apprenticeship. Ive been making a list of all the parts I am going to need and been ordering them whenever I have some extra cash. One thing I noticed you didn't mention was the upgraded turbo oil lines if you don't already have them.
I already have the updated oil lines for the turbo but that is a great upgrade if you don't already have them
Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 AM

So next Wednesday I will be tackling the EGR delete on my truck. I got the Dicad Solutions Kit for $189 out the door, also got the turbo mounting hardware, and turbo reconditioning kit, and intake gaskets from Ford.

My main question is are their any special tools I should pick up for doing this job. I think I read something about a swivel socket for the back turbo bolt? Any special sockets, extensions, swivels and what not.

My second question is whether or not to take off the intake manifold? I got the intake gaskets because I originally though I would but now I don't think it is really necessary. I would like to clean it out but how much extra time will it take to remove it and what else has to be removed to get it off (FICM, Filter Hosuing, etc.)

I also remember reading that the 2 bolts in the Dicad kit may be too short, I'm guessing their referring to the 2 smaller bolts?

Here is the kit, it appears to be great quality.

Intake gaskets and turbo hardware, they had to order the reconditioning kit.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
That's a nice truck for a high school kid man, looks like your taking good care of it now
Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You going to UCF or UF?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:24 PM

I know some people will probably say to go on and pull the intake and clean it out, but I didn't when I done my EGR delete because I was on a time schedule and couldn't get new intake manifold gaskets. Never had a problem with it even with the original gaskets. When I got the studs put in is when I cleaned my intake manifold.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you got the time, it wouldn't be a bad idea to clean the manifold. You will have to take the filter housing off, but you will probably need to tdo that to get the turbo out anyway. Also, you need to remove the alternator, but that is easy. The FICM can stay without a problem. Even if you dont clean the manifold, you shoud do a CCV mod and pull of the hose to the MAP sensor and clean or replace that.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 PM

Take the extra time to remove and clean it got mine from the shop wile the stud job was happening took it home I couldn't believe the buildup on it used whole bottle of purple power and a flexable cable brush to get Down in there and a pressure washer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.