About ready to tune. Asking for all opinions!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
About ready to tune. Asking for all opinions!!!!

I've got an 04 6.0 130,000 miles, straight piped, and coolant filter, engine is stock. Deltas are as far as I can tell good, new ficm and that's about it. I know I'm going to be running a sct x3 or sf3, havnt decided yet because I don't know the differences but yeah sct for sure. I would like to know what tunes are the safest for unstudded engines, I want the mist relatively safest tune with the most (safe) power while keeping reliability in mind. I'm thinking innovative x-street/ x-race, matts srl/ srl+. I know none of these tunes are technically "safe" but I'm just wondering which one is the safest for the most power. Also do all of them tune trannys?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Idk if it helps any but you can get some custom tunes for non-studded trucks. Im sure someone will post up before to long and give you more detailed information.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The SF3 comes with 5 pre-programmed tunes (canned) and can also hold 3 custom tunes. The X3 can only hold 3 custom tunes. If you plan on running custom tunes, don't even bother with the canned tunes. Once you try a custom tune, you'll never use a canned tune again.

Custom tunes can be written for non-studed trucks. Running them safely will be determined my your right foot.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 PM

matt at gearheads has non studded tunes
Old 04-29-2012, 09:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
Best all around tune is for economy and towing and power is innovatives street, for seat in the pants I use Matt's srl
Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
The SF3 comes with 5 pre-programmed tunes (canned) and can also hold 3 custom tunes. The X3 can only hold 3 custom tunes. If you plan on running custom tunes, don't even bother with the canned tunes. Once you try a custom tune, you'll never use a canned tune again.

Custom tunes can be written for non-studed trucks. Running them safely will be determined my your right foot.
So if I keep the WOT runs to a minimum, the slightly hotter tunes CAN be safe. Im fairly conservative with the skinny pedal! I've read some guys have had luck running the innovative x-race and x-street tunes as a DD and not having problems. Does it really depend that much on the right foot or does the tune have alot to do with. Also does anyone have "at the wheels" numbers for the different tunes like the srl/ srl+ or the x-street and x-race? Or how the match up. And what are the differences between them. I've read something about the TQ converter locking with some tune vs others? I don't know if this is like a try it and see process or not. I personally like to go into something knowing as much about it as possible, especially when my engine is on the line. And I understand you have to pay to play and when you play you WILL have to pay. I'm just trying to find a limit as to where I can play at without blowing gaskets or running into other problems.

Sorry for the long posts

Last edited by Kyleu890; 04-29-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 AM

I just run the level 2 edge cts tune, designed by bill at php, it tunes the trans also. The truck runs great , and shifts crisply and went from 9.5 mpg stock to 12.5 mpg, it can now get out of it's own way. I did have the heads milled and new ford gaskets and bolts installed last fall. Only other mods are egr delete and blue spring. She does run well. I watch my guages closely and she tows everyday for a living.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:37 AM

Thread revival time! Does anybody know the real difference between Vivian's, Matt's, and eric's tunes? Does anyone know who keeps the lowest cylinder pressure? I'm trying to minimize the impact on my HG's! Thanks again!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:51 AM

I run several tunes from Mrs. Vivian at Quick Tricks. Best customer service, PERIOD. She is awesome to work with and the tunes work great with my truck. On the issue of cylinder head pressures, she can tweak any of her current tunes if you are worried about it being to hard on the engine. She will also work with you to get whatever combination is best for your truck. The Looney is very stong, good on fuel and very manageable on the street. Get in touch with her, she can really explain everything to you better than I can.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:20 AM

In all honesty i would have an egt or pyrometer before i went hotrodding, egtemps are a direct product of high cyl. Press. I would get an atlas40 ficm tune from php first,(safe for non studded engines)then find a custom tune for the ecm. My buddy runs a hercules ficm with an sct looney, and it's sweet, but it is studded and he's a psd dealer tech and knows what he can get away with, he told me to stay with a40 ficm and 40-60 hp ecm tune til i stud the thing. I'm a retired caterpillar tech and we used to crank truck 3406 425hp motors, but in the wrong hands they would melt easy, if you drive conservatively, you can monitor your engine vitals,i just would get a tune that is tranny friendly. Most old peterbilts we cranked were manual trans, and mechanical fuel delivery(air/fuel ratio),no ficm and pcm software back then. But egt would kill them with a heavy load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.