Yet another coolant flush/filter thread - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 05:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yet another coolant flush/filter thread

I did my best to answer everything I could with the cunning use of 'search'.

I am left with just a couple quick questions that should be fairly easy.

Is it best to add on a coolant filter before doing the full scale coolant system flush, or after, or does it matter?

Is it important to do a coolant flush and filter, before bulletproofing, or does it matter? (bulletproofdiesel.com kit, to be specific)

I have been piecing together the list of things that need to be done to end up with the engine mods that I want to do, but then I will read some one randomly mention "running 7500mi through a filter before doing the flush..." and it makes me wonder if there is an ordered checklist somewhere for how to do what needs done, and in the right order.

I have found tons of information about this part of the procedure, (coolant filter/flush) or the EGR valve cleaning, or choosing an EGR delete vs a bulletproofing setup. But is there one single "welcome to your 'new to you' 6.0 and here are the steps to fix it." post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 05:34 PM
The Silent Service

I'll point you to my write up on bullet-proofing the 6.0L.

As for the coolant filter question, in my mind the sooner you can get rid of that Ford Gold, the better off you are going to be. Get the full coolant swap knocked out, then install the coolant filter.

As for the oil cooler health after the flush, you need to know your temps going into the process. If you are near a 10* delta or worse, with the expectation the flush is going to make that delta worse, take the proactive steps and rebuild your oil cooler after you flush and before you refill with the concentrated silicate-free ELC. After the last flush you'll have as much of the debris that you are going to get out of there as you will get, and the old oil cooler would have collected some of it. There are a few members here that are comfortable with back-flushing that out, but I'm not one of them. You can get the rebuild kit for the oil cooler easily enough.

Thread:
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Adding a coolant filter before a flush don't do much. Coolant filters are a bypass set-up and only filters about 10% of the coolant. So really it doesn't matter, as long as you install one for the long haul.

Sounds like your gonna use the BPD remote oil cooler, I would recommend doing a flush prior to installing the BPD oil cooler, this will help get most of the debris out of the system. Even then, it shouldn't matter because the BPD cooler is large enough to let any debris to pass thru it.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:39 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Adding a coolant filter before a flush don't do much. Coolant filters are a bypass set-up and only filters about 10% of the coolant. So really it doesn't matter, as long as you install one for the long haul.

Sounds like your gonna use the BPD remote oil cooler, I would recommend doing a flush prior to installing the BPD oil cooler, this will help get most of the debris out of the system. Even then, it shouldn't matter because the BPD cooler is large enough to let any debris to pass thru it.
The remote oil cooler from BPD is an air-to-oil cooler, mounted behind the condenser, or bumper. There is no passage for coolant in their system, and the coolant becomes a non-issue.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

It"s in the 6.0 Tech Files section or you can follow the first link in my sig. You can install a coolant filter and run it for a while before flushing if you want. I think that 1000 miles would be plenty. If you are going to do a chemical flush with Restore and Restore Plus the I don't think it matters at all. All the pre-flush mileage with a coolant filter isn't going to do a thing to catch the rust and scale etc. that the chemical flush dislodges. A thorough flush is needed to get the crud out of your system. Depending on the condition of your cooling system you could dislodge enough to clog the oil cooler or not, whether you run a coolant filter before or not.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
The remote oil cooler from BPD is an air-to-oil cooler, mounted behind the condenser, or bumper. There is no passage for coolant in their system, and the coolant becomes a non-issue.
LOL!! I don't know what I was thinking!Ha!! I should of thought, before I typed!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:03 PM

Thank you all very much.

Lots of good info, and more questions.

I've got a delta between 7-9, but on a recent two day drive from IN to CO, I got up and around the 10 or 11 mark. I'm generally around 185ish ECT and 193ish EOT. Tranny barely ever tops 160.

I was under the impression that doing a full coolant flush (chemical) might improve my delta and help me to put off the bulletproofdiesel.com kit another month or 2k miles or so. But it sounds like I am wrong about this?

Is the coolant flush/filter/worry even going to matter if I go the route of the separate oil cooler from bulletproofdiesel.com?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:17 PM

Having had some time to sit and read through the links that were shared here, I think I have a plan.

Thank you very much for the input, the links, and taking the time to answer questions that surely get asked over and over.

Much appreciated guys. I have a plan to work with now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.