brake controller low voltage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
brake controller low voltage

on my 2006, both my trailers with brakes are weak. So I checked the voltage at the bumper plug with the stock brake controller on 10 (highest) it only puts 11.9 volts to the plug. I pulled the brake controller out of dash, and jumped the wire from the positive into the controller to the blue output wire, then checked the bumper plug and had 13.8. So the controller is only putting out 11.9 max. Anyone else experience this? Is there any aftermarket controllers that fit into stock location and look halfway descent and work well? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 01:52 PM

did a bunch of research, Just ordered a Prodigy P3, done with working with the stock unit. "overly complicated" in my opinion, have read many reasons why it may not provide full power, anti sway, anti lock, speed sensing, load etc... I just want full control and full power on demand. Can't wait to have the POS bypassed and the P3 braking my trailer.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'd check out the trailer brakes first, and make sure they're adjusted correctly.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:32 PM

done, extensively. I just picked up a brand new car hauler open deck, and the brakes work like crud unloaded when its capable of carrying a lot of weight. I have troubleshot the heck out of my triple axle toyhauler breaks and they are basically all brand new and new wires now. Couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting 12+ volts at the trailer wheels, never suspected the truck until I towed this brand new car hauler home yesterday. Hooked it up to my dads older F250 and it drags the locked tires down the street, so the trailers are great. I did a google search and issues with these stock controllers are numerous. The new high model Prodigy controllers are amazing these days.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I am not familiar with the Ford controller but on the Prodigy needs to see a load to work properly so you can't just test it with a multimeter at the plug. I would look at the wiring at the truck, you may be loosing voltage due to the small factory wire. I have a tripple and due to the current flow over a small factory wire causing a voltage drop, cannot get lockup. As a test, you could temporary run a wire from the controller to the trailer or even disconnect two brakes to see if the load is too much. Either way, test it at low speeds away from traffic.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Emergency Services

Post if you have any issues when using the Prodigy P3. I've heard there are issues with the dash display reporting an issue/problem when an aftermarket brake controller is used instead of the integrated brake controller.

I have a P3 in my '04 dually and LOVE it!
Old 04-28-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMustang370 View Post
Post if you have any issues when using the Prodigy P3. I've heard there are issues with the dash display reporting an issue/problem when an aftermarket brake controller is used instead of the integrated brake controller.

I have a P3 in my '04 dually and LOVE it!
my god, i hope this does not happen. I can imagine it might when the main plug is disconnected. My plan is, if i can fab something to look halfway descent, to have the P3 in that location and have the stock unit removed, so it can't beep,display, and chime BS at me! lol If i can't fab something that looks descent, ill just put the P3 under the dash, and unplug both plugs from the stock unit, but leave it in the dash to fill the hole. Wont chime at me if its totally disconnected!!

Last edited by jetjock15; 04-28-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:24 AM

i have a similar problem. my controller wont even recognize my trailer. when mine is on 10 mine puts out less than 9 volts. ive had truck for a week and cant even haul my trailer. taking it back to dealership monday.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:38 PM

9volts to trailer brakes should be a pretty hard stop. I'd check the trailer brakes.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

You will LOVE The p3, you're going to wonder how you ever towed without it!

You're going to have a hard time mounting the p3 IN the dash though because the manual slider is under the controller, and you have to use it to set up the controller for each trailer (it has presets for each trailer tho)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.