Should I purchase this truck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I purchase this truck?

It's a 2004 f250 6.0 4x4. It's exactly what I want, but I've heard so many horror stories. I've had friends that had 6.0s and not had trouble, and I've had friends get them rebuilt. It seems like theres no ryhme or reason about who got good ones or bad ones, so I need to know what you guys think. This truck is mint with one owner and only 30,000 miles. I had a duramax and traded for an f150 and it's killing me. I have to get back into a 3/4 ton for towing purposes. Please let me know what yall think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 07:45 AM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Try and get an oasis report on it to see if its had a bunch of problems. Even if it has a long rap sheet, depending on whats been fixed it can be a good thing if its had head gaskets or a new egr cooler. We have plenty of 6.0s in my family (7) and most of them have been trouble free.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

if you have a scan tool such as the edge cts and they let you put it on and it comes up with no trouble codes and the deltas arent way out of whack then i look into it, and as far as rebuilding i bought my 07 last year and have only had to put studs a egr delete and had the ficm repaired but havent had any real issues. its all in how you treat it
Old 04-28-2012, 07:55 AM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

x2 on the delta scan. Make sure the oil and coolant temps are close together.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Were are you located? Maybe someone is close to you and can help out.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am in the same boat and hoping to buy my 6.0 next week. I got a combustion gas test kit from NAPA and have used it on trucks I am looking to buy. If it tests positive it will at least tell you there is some problem. It will not tell you if it is from a cracked EGR or from a blown head gasket. You could use the bulletproof test to tell you that. If it tests negative will give you some piece of mind that the head gaskets are good. Here is a link to the kit. Good luck.

NAPA AUTO PARTS
Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay, so I drove the truck and it seemed to run really well. I noticed a few things, and would like your opinions about them.

1.The truck shifted kind of hard from 1st to 2nd when I first moved it through the parking lot. I may have confused the trans by accellerating and slowing too much. Every f150 I've ever had does this, but I thought I would ask. It shifted smooth every time after that.

2.There was oil or something on the outside of the bellhousing. It wasn't leaking, and didn't look active. My duramax had quite a bit of seepage, and I've always been told not to be concerned until it drips. I'm just leary about the motor in the first place.

I looked at the oil cooler and underside of motor. I didn't see much in the way of leakage or seepage, but it looked like the dealer had cleaned the truck well. The truck didn't have white or blue smoke, and it didn't smell like diesel like my duramax did. The turbo lit very well and the throttle was very responsive. Truck is a one owner with very low mileage. Overall I was very impressed with how it ran. Is there anything I should be cautious about? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.