Frustrated with my dealership.. might do an overhaul - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 07:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Frustrated with my dealership.. might do an overhaul

Alright guys, 1st post noob here but I've reached my breaking point with my dealership and their lack of help on my truck.

I purchased a 2006 F250 Extended Cab 1.5 years ago and had blue&white smoke problems since I bought it. I bought it in November and just shrugged off the smoke thinking it was just because it was 10 degrees out the whole winter. Every time I took it to my dealership the problem could not be "reproduced". I took it to another dealership north of me in Pittsburgh and they said it was my turbo. The dealership said that the problem with the turbo was rust deposits which wasn't covered under warranty. Price quote to rebuild around $4,000. They said there may be a problem with the head gasket, but couldn't be sure unless they ripped the engine apart.

I took it right back to my dealership and explained this and after almost getting into a fist fight with the manager they came to the conclusion and said it was my fuel pump/filter blahblahblah and a cracked turbo intake tube which wasn't covered under my aftermarket warranty I purchased through them. I paid the money, didn't fix the problem. I got some response back into my truck but I was still having the same problems with smoke. Frustrated I just ignored it because it only did it for the first 15 minutes of driving. It was only a little bit of smoke.

Well, over a month ago I was in a fender bender and received only side damage to my front driver side of my truck. It took the autobody shop over 5 weeks to replace a rotor, fix some suspension, and paint. My truck sat for the entire time and did not run except for them to pull it out of the garage after sitting all night to sit outside all day. I received my truck back and now I'm blowing white smoke like a *****. It doesn't smell sweet, smells like diesel and some other sort of burning synthetic. It's constant white when idling, and a thick white(and little blueish)smoke that stays around when I pull out of a stop. People behind me cannot see when its idling, and when I give it gas, game over for their sight.

Insurance is pretty much saying they won't cover it unless it can be related to the accident, and I got a feeling my dealership will just flip me the bird as usual. My truck was never like this prior to the event. I'm not sure if this started directly after the accident or because it was sitting so long and something gunked up. My truck was flat bedded away from the accident because the rim was off the truck.

So I'm at the point of I probably do have a bad turbo from before, and now my injectors are gunked up and not responding, or possibly an EGR issue. I might just overhaul everything.

If I would overhaul any advice on what to get? I'm thinking on:
New turbo
EGR Block Off
New set of injectors
Studs
Head Gasket
New Oil Cooler (or rebuilt?)
and a programmer

Any input/advice on this situation would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It sounds like whoever has been working on it doesn't have a diesel tech
Old 04-26-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
It sounds like whoever has been working on it doesn't have a diesel tech
The way things have been going, I believe it. The dealership who said it was the turbo causing the issue is a big dealership around here that does mostly diesel performance upgrades. A bunch of my friends take their diesels there for work, so I trust that dealership. Unfortunately they said they would of only been able to help me out and potentially split the cost if I would of purchased the truck through them. They told me that my dealership might work out something similar.. tough nuts on that one.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:49 PM

Pull your EGR valve out of the intake, if its wet you've got an EGR cooler gone.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 PM

Pull the turbo and clean it yourself
DTS Articles - Turbocharger Reconditioning
This shows how to clean the turbo
2 stroker
Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 PM

As stated check the egr valve
I would also check the FICM are your batteries good because weak or bad one will kill the ficm
Testing the FICM
2 stroker
Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

i think it could be injectors sticking ? mabey try some rev x and see what happens
Old 04-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I agree with all the above. From the early posts about it smoking till it warms up, that's a classic symptom af the FICM going bad. If the injectors are sticking it will cause it to run rough and smoke also often clearing up when warm. Rev-X works wonders in the 6.0 for injector stiction. Check the intake for wetness by pulling the egr valve as indicated. If your egr is ruptured you are dumping coolant into the cylinders and eventually it will lift the heads and blow the head gaskets. If the egr cooler is ruptured it is a good bet that your oil cooler is clogged up since that is the leading cause of egr cooler ruptures. As for the turbo, it is easy to take care of yourself. $4000 to rebuild your turbo? That's rape. $1200 for a NEW Powermax turbo or a remanufactured stock turbo plus R&R labor doesn't even make $2K. R&R the turbo disassemble clean put in a new unison ring and your under $1K. Won't do warranty work because you didn't buy it there? WTF is that. You have some crappy dealer support that's for sure.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

you can't trust a dealership AT ALL. at 166,000 they told me my engine was completely shot,cooked,junk, but they could patch it for 7,000 or put in a new one for 12,000. My engine never smoked,never used a drop of oil and was getting 18 mpg it just ran rough with no power. Well I ran 10-18 to the dealer to get it away from there. I bought all the parts for wholesale and an egr delete kit, did the work myself and only had app 1,200.00 now at 196,000 I just replaced the injectors, its running perfect no oil use no smoke and 22 mpg and thats on a completely shot engine, go figure. Like PGreen said, clean your turbo yourself its easy you tube has videos, shows you just how to do it, there is a kit you can buy for about 80 bucks or so, but I just used sandpaper, my flst surfsces had some rust pitting but that did'ne hurt it a bit. moral of story--- do NOT trust a dealership
Old 04-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't know where exactly you're at but I work for a small dealer in washington county. If you think I could be of any help to you let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie32567 View Post
do NOT trust a dealership
some of us do good work. we're not all cut out of the same mold

Last edited by sinner6.0L; 04-27-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.