Used 6.0 purchase - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Used 6.0 purchase

Hey guys Im new here.

Im looking at purchasing a used 05 Ex w/6.0 and it has 160k miles on it. The miles dont scare me but the horror stories of the 6L do. Im very mechanically inclined and can do a just about anything on a gas motor but im a complete virgin when it comes to diesels.

My question is since this thing has 160k miles on it wouldnt you assume that the head bolts have held up? or at least been replaced or can it take that long for them to fail. Its going to a 3rd vehicle used for pulling a 5k lbs boat and a 6k lbs TT. Im not looking for a mechanical turd, so any input and advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Serving Our Country!

Ya know, thats one of the crazy things about this engine. Even with that mileage, they could be stock bolts or the head gaskets could have blown and had to get replaced along with the bolts. The previous owner could have used the OEM bolts or used studs. You would have to look in the engine bay to figure that out though.

One thing you should do before buying this vehicle is to check the difference between the EOT (engine oil temp) and the ECT (engine coolant temp). You can do this using something like a scanguage II. You can pick them up for about $150. However, if the previous owner has gauges already then you could just use those. What you want to do is, after the truck is completely warmed up, drive on a FLAT road going 60-65mph. You are looking to make sure that the difference between the two temps is not more than 15*. If it is under 15* that means your oil cooler is healthy. If it is over 15* it means your oil cooler will need to be replaced. FYI, clogged oil coolers are one of the major reasons for head gasket failure.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Matt got it down to the beat!!!

Also, check the exhuast fumes for any smoking...check the color. White is coolant in the engine, which is either egr cooler or hg failed.

chack the coolant degas bottle for any puking coolant out of the cap area also.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well let's not forget that regardless of the above, the trucks HG could be blown and no one knows it. I have an 06 with nearly 10 gauges, one happend to be coolant pressure that reads 16-18 psi at all times when warmed up signifying a HG leak. No other signs of head gasket failure, just high coolant pressure. If I had no gauges, I'd think the motor was in perfect working order. I am one of the first SD owners to have an in cab coolant pressure gauge so it makes me wonder how many people are running blown head gaskets and don't even know it because the truck has no symptoms that would lead them to check for one...

Truck runs like a dream though. I would recommend renting/buying a coolant pressure gauge, hook it up, idle the truck up to operating temp, release degas bottle pressure so the gauge reads 0, then start the truck while at operating temp and floor it.

If the truck runs up to 16 psi real quick, you have a hg failure.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am looking at buying a 6.0 right now also. I went to NAPA and got a combustion gas check kit. It is quick and easy. And for $40 it will give you a good idea about if the is a head gasket or cracked EGR. Good luck with your search.

Here is the link to the kit at NAPA.

NAPA AUTO PARTS
Old 04-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

let me preface that I am a diesel noob...never owned one, but trying to.

Are all of these tests simple enough that if you are looking at buying used from an individual, they wont have any issue with you hooking stuff up to their truck?

The 6.0 trucks in my area and just REALLY priced well, is this the only reason the prices for this year range and motor are significantly lower? I read alot of negative things about the 6.0, but it seems that with some minor attention, they are still great trucks. I just worry about asking a truck owner if I can run these tests on his truck before I buy it....or is this something you are better of doing as you look at trucks on the lot?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

and then the other question is am i better off buying a 7.3? There a few in my area but not a nicely equipped as the newer trucks, but I'm hearing its a bullet proof power plant, I'm completely torn.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if you test drive a 6.0 then a 7.3, you'll run from the 7.3.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCVeloMan View Post
if you test drive a 6.0 then a 7.3, you'll run from the 7.3.
^^^^ so true
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.