Thinking about going to a 6.7, help me decide - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Thinking about going to a 6.7, help me decide

So I was talking to my mom last night and we got to talking about my truck. I love my truck, besides my F550, this is the only truck I've ever owned for more than a year. But it's 8 years old. It's not beat up, only has 85k miles, but it's still 8 years old.

So what I'm thinking is, go one of ways. 1) Put about $10k into the 6-liter, injectors, turbo, transmission and any other incidentals (fuel systems etc.) or 2)sell it or trade it in and put the insurance money toward a 6.7. But what I'm thinking is black on black Lariat Ultimate and give it the Harley treatment, same color scheme as the '04, black headlights, body color grille and custom badges.

The only problem with both choices is, when one of the F550s is too much truck for my need, I'll have to use the HD (04 or 12)for going to job sites or towing equipment, and there's always the potential of screwing it up.

So I don't know what I'm going to do at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It's a tough choice that's for sure!!!

Sent from my crazy phone that posts behind my back...
Old 04-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
save the money on the huge payment of a new one and keep the one you have unless our rich and you can afford to just buy a new truck like that.

if thats the case, then buy a new one.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

all the farmers I know that own 6.7s wish they had their 6.0s back. As unreliable as the 6.0 is the 6.7 is even worse, if you can believe that. After all the work I did on my 6.0 it is running perfect and getting 22 mpg on hyway. the other day I went to get in it and thought to myself that I was afraid to crank it, it was running too good and I know it wont last long. I read something on here right after that about " turning the key on a 6.0 is like pulling the trigger on a gun in a game of russian roulette, you know its just a matter of time till the explosion comes, or somethin to that affect. I'm gonna park mine and use Ole Reliable, 95 cummins, and just use the 6.0 for road trips. Now before everybody falls off the deep end, I love my 6.0 when it is right so I'm just stating fact.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If I get a new truck it will be cash. No more payments.

There's nothing wrong with my 6.0, there's nothing wrong with the truck, period. It's getting studded, has a BPD egr cooler, new FICM, coolant filter, etc. I'm just thinking that maybe I should get out before there is something wrong. I won't buy a used truck for my every day truck, because I've seen what people do to their trucks. I may just go with my original plan and keep the HD and do a few upgrades and get another 6-0 for work and hauling. I know it sounds stupid because I don't want to use my 04 HD for work, but if I could find a decent 05-07 king ranch or HD I wouldn't mind. Although I did find a super nice XLT, has a small lift and wheels and tires. So that may be the route I go. I dunno yet, just thinking out loud and getting opinions.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
I have a few friends with them. Nice but I wouldnt get rid of a fixed 6L for one.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:45 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you have a 8 yr old truck and think it's old? i just stopped thinking of my 4 as new. having very little experience with the 6.0 and none with the 6.7 i think if it were me i would keep the 6.0. i just can't stand the way the new ones look, plus you already know what you have
Old 04-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If u buy the 6.7 just have an extra $12,000 for dealer repair work in case u get bad fuel in ur system (srs)
Old 04-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No way I'd get rid of a sorted 6.0 for a 6.7. They are too new a design, too early in the cycle of new EPA regs. etc. The next few years are going to be rough on the new diesel. I mean come on, really, exhaust fluid? WTF is up with that. And I'll run the pants off a 6.7 with my 6.0.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 PM
back to business

I'd keep the 6.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.