Eco or Tow Tune? Daily Driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Eco or Tow Tune? Daily Driving

Hey all, I had a general question that I have seen mixed emotions on. For a daily drive tune (max of 15 in town miles daily), would you drive with a Economy or Tow tune? I am currently running an Edge Evolution #15003 (I know know, let the SCT comments roll) and here are the tune settings:

Eco: 15HP / 50-60 (dont recall exact) Ft lbs torque
Tow: 60HP / 120 (again, dont recall exact number) Ft lbs.

I would like to see a milage gain, but if the Eco tune only gives me 1-2 MPG, its not really worth it.

What are your guy's thoughts, besides switching to SCT?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Get custom tunes from PHP for your evolution

Sorry I dont know of a "right" or "safe" answer to give you with your current setup....I dont want to be "that guy" that makes you buy a new tranny down the road
Old 04-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I wasn't aware that I could do that!? Will it overide my canned tunes?
Old 04-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I dont really know

All I know is it is the new alternative for guys that already have evolutions...And he's been getting pretty great reviews lately so I would

While your dealing with him...get a FICM tune while your at it to help some more with mpgs and a bit more response from your truck

Call and talk to Bill... He will explain all the neccesities...... all we know is hes great and he does it
Old 04-24-2012, 12:23 PM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would get rid of the canned tuning with the Edge. The main reason I say this is the advantage of SCT being able to utilize tuning the transmission, versus the programming relying on transmission relearn to adapt to the new power band.

As for your fuel mileage concern, run the highest HP tune you feel comfortable with. Here's why I say this. Under my SCT street tune (approx 400HP) , I see around 10% MPG improvement over stock. With my X-Race file loaded (approx 440HP) and a responsible right foot, I see around a 15% improvement over stock.

Stock: 12.5 mpg city / 14.8 mpg interstate
Street: 13.4 mpg city / 16.2 mpg interstate
X-Race: 14.2 mpg city / 16.8 mpg interstate

Real World results with an SCT and IDP tuning, on a 8050# dually with 4.30 gears.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Colo Dually, when you are in the street tune or the extreme street do you take advantage of any of the options such as transmission firmness or increase of pressures? I just installed mine and really didn't know if I should click on those options.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2012, 03:58 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 302 View Post
Colo Dually, when you are in the street tune or the extreme street do you take advantage of any of the options such as transmission firmness or increase of pressures? I just installed mine and really didn't know if I should click on those options.

Thanks
I have the regular street, reason being is I still retain some towing capabilities with the tune. (IDP recommends staying under 8K if I remember right, with street.) With my X-Race file (which is my daily driver), the transmission shifts very firmly and quick, and the TC locks up in 2nd gear. With this file I can avoid smoking at all and drive like anyone else, and still have a lot of power available.

I do not alter any of the other parameters as of right now, I don't hit the track much or show off. I'd have no way of telling for curtain that an adjustment would be beneficial. If you are to start manipulating it, I recommend giving the transmission time to learn the original program. Then if you feel like you want to mess with options you have a baseline of how the program works, and can get at least a driver's feel of any gain or loss. It would be easy enough to return to the baseline program later.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 PM

I have been running the Evolution canned Tow tune for 2 years. The truck gets around 20MPG on the interstate and has a significant increase in power over stock. The trannie shifts much firmer as well. No smoke either. I like the fact that for less than $400 you get a tuner and gauages. I wouldnot go beyond the Tow tune because of the trannie issues that I have heard of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.