A very productive weekend. Suggestions for next steps? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A very productive weekend. Suggestions for next steps?

So a little over a month ago we got this 04 F250, CC/SB, FX4, 6spd manual. Fairly low miles, bone stock. First order of business was to return it to the dealership, since it started puking coolant before we even got home with it. Got new oil and egr coolers installed at their expense. Put a Scangauge II in, deltas about 6* max at cruise, FICM voltage stable at 48.0 +/- 0.5 and everything else looking good. Unable to make head gaskets leak. Put a 9T trailer on and ran it hard about 900 miles, then return trip with 3500 lb. empty trailer. Runs great, max temps were 221 EOT / 212 ECT going west out of Needles on 40 at the top of the long hill. Scangauge failed so it went back, and was replaced with an Edge Insight CTS.

Edge arrived on Friday, along with an SCT SF3, an egr delete, pair of Fumoto F108Ns, and box of assorted stuff from Tousley. Between Friday evening and the end of the weekend, it's received some quality time.

Oil drained and replaced with T6, new Motorcraft filter. Fresh grease in all zerks.
Fuel filters replaced, blue spring installed.
Pulled the starter, drained the block, installed the Fumoto valves. Put starter back on, added hoses to the valves.
Pulled the turbo, disassembled and cleaned thoroughly. Housing was rusted from the failed egr cooler, unison ring OK and only a bit of rust on the VG vanes.
TIG welded a threaded bung in the new RH up-pipe for pyrometer probe; installed.
Flange on the new up-pipe which connects to the Y pipe was not even remotely close to flat. Draw-filed until it was.
Reassembled everything.
Removed thermostat, flushed with 20 gal. distilled water, replaced thermostat and refilled with 3.5 gal. Delo ELC + distilled water.
Road test; no leaks or other problems. Deltas still 6* max steady-state @ 65mph, typically more like 3-4.

I'd assumed that the dealership would have flushed everything thoroughly, but what came out of the block drains initially looked like dark apple cider. Also had assumed that they'd clean the turbo, but that didn't happen either. Fuel filters had clearly been in there for a long time. Final flush water came out fairly close to clear. Transmission fluid etc. all looks relatively fresh, will finish changing out all the remaining fluids next time. Still need to get the pyrometer hooked up, the sender and bung came with an Autometer gauge that we've had on the shelf for a few years. Need in-cab fuel pressure gauge, not sure whether to couple that to the CTS or do a stand-alone.

Currently it's running the canned SCT street tune, mainly for egr. See lots of recommendations for Innovative, the SRL from Gearhead, and Looney. It hauls kids to school 5 days a week, and assorted stuff (usually not over a ton at a time) on weekends, but in a mountainous area. Generally lives between 7-10k feet elevation, perhaps once a week or less it gets down below a mile in elevation. Do any of the "standard custom" tunes have an advantage for high altitude, or would we be better off with a full custom? Heavy towing is so infrequent that changing the tune for those occasions isn't a major inconvenience.

Exhaust is on the short list also. Initial plan was to convert the stock pipes to a straight through configuration. Looked at a few mufflers, the Dynomax and Flowmaster direct-fit offerings look easy and fast to install. Donaldson has an "off-road" unit which is about as close to direct replacement of the Ford muffler as one could ask for (M091047) it's supposed to be good for 12-18 dbA, 1525 cfm @ 3" Hg. My concern is that straight pipe may be too loud for my wife, and some mufflers may not give a sound that I find satisfying. Input here would be greatly appreciated. Not sure that I see a huge benefit to replacing the entire system for our use.

What else? I'm sure that someone will say a coolant filter should have gone on first, but due to warranty issues that didn't happen. At this point, I think that the cooling system is fairly clean and any casting sand that's going to come out will have done so already. Is it worth it? Dunno. Don't race, so can't see the need for bigger injectors, turbo etc. Mainly interested in reliability, anything that improves mileage and/or power without adversely affecting durability deserves looking into. And sound, I would rather listen to a good exhaust system than a good stereo system most of the time.

Advice, comments, suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I would STRONGLY suggest a coolant filter still... I would go with the PMM kit as there is no need to splice any factory hoses as in all the other kits. That will benefit you incase you need to take it back you can just plug the old hose back in... With the "other" kits you end up splicing the factory hoses so you cant go back to stock so easily.

I would go with a MBRP or Diamond Eye exhuast

For the tuning, the BEST way to go is to get a custom tune from any of the most popular three tuners... Matt, Eric, or Vivian

They all make great "safe" tunes for not studded truck
Old 04-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

OK, will do the coolant filter. I also arrived at the PMM kit being the best of the bunch, and considered (maybe still considering) the piecemeal approach with a Fleetguard or Donaldson head, with some SS ball valves that I like from a local source. It probably isn't "going back" since my used-car warranty is now officially... used.

Will look at those exhaust systems. I like SS because they salt the roads in winter here, but that adds considerable expense when talking about the whole thing vs. a few pieces.

Already have read the pcm strategy and written it down, ready to email off to whomever once I can make that decision. From what I've read here it's probably a fairly even split between those three. At least there's no transmission tune to confuse things further.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

We have our roads salted here in the winter too and everyone here is running the aluminized exhuast kits

NOT worth IMO to get the S.S.

Yeah they are all really close and im working my way to get all their tunes myself

Just cant decide on which one lol I want them all
Old 04-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I recall seeing some fairly inexpensive aluminized exhaust systems at Jegs and Summit; didn't look at them very carefully at the time, but did notice that some were running a bullet glasspack muffler, which I prefer to the turbo style. I guess that they were enough cheaper to make me a little nervous; an old neighbor had a fortune cookie slip taped to his refrigerator which said "Cheap things are not valuable. Valuable things are not cheap."
Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

Trust me... I wouldn't even flinch to get the aluminized kit... I know of 4 guys on my side of the state and atleast the same amount of guys running aluminized kits on the other side of the state.. Works Great
Old 04-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That's really great to hear. Will do aluminized then! No point in wasting limited financial resources for no real benefit. If you're working on getting tunes from all 3, who would you recommend starting with?

Anything else I've missed?
Old 04-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Noticed that Diamond Eye retains a 3" diameter down pipe, but replaces the stock unit with a two piece. I don't see the point of replacing a 3" pipe with another 3" pipe, especially when it's good for stock power levels and not much else, while a good tune can add >100 hp with the rest of the stock hardware.

Can't find diameter for MBRP's down pipe, some of the others are 4" all the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.