air conditioning/compressor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 09:54 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question air conditioning/compressor

Did some work recently on my truck and had to take everything apart down to the intake manifold to change out the o-ring. Got everything put back together and the truck runs great, only problem I have is the a/c is not blowing any cool air. The compressor is not coming on, first thought I have since this was a DIY project is I may have simply forgotten to connect something. Before I go back and start tearing down everything I wanted to get some advice. Are there any wires that connect to the compressor? I've checked the fuses and everything seems to be ok. Thought about possibly there being no freon in the system because my repair took a lot longer than expected (few months, due to weather/life), so before I take it somewhere to get my a/c checked wanted to make sure I didn't make a mistake.

Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Make sure connector on side of acumulator is in all the way. Next if it still doesn't work pull that connector and ohm out switch should go to 0, if not system is low on or out of freon. It is the low pressure switch a safty for the system.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:21 PM

I'll check that out and post results, thanks!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:31 PM

Checked connection on the side of the accumulator, seemed to be secure. I remember when working on my truck that connection was unscrewed by my dad who was helping me, could that have caused a problem? Like cause freon to leak, etc? I thought he would have an ohm-meter, but he doesn't. Looks like I will be taking it to see if it does have any charge
Old 04-23-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcarreon View Post
Checked connection on the side of the accumulator, seemed to be secure. I remember when working on my truck that connection was unscrewed by my dad who was helping me, could that have caused a problem? Like cause freon to leak, etc? I thought he would have an ohm-meter, but he doesn't. Looks like I will be taking it to see if it does have any charge
You need A/C gauges to check pressures, otherwise you are low on refrigerant (134A) and will require charging.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:12 PM

You could pull connector & jumper it to see if clutch on compressor pulls in, then you'll it's low or out of charge.(need truck running)
If it was loose it could of lost charge, don't recall if it has scheader fitting in it so you could pull switch with out pulling charge. If you twisted o-ring connection (quick connections) you could have lost charge that way also. I hate o-rings.

Last edited by letitsno; 04-23-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 PM

No-way I would put my butt in a rocket put together with O-rings.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:34 PM

When I was speaking with my dad about it he mentioned an o-ring, that's what made me think it could have leaked potentially. He untwisted the o-ring connection and I assume that the switch engages or some type of suction occurs at this area (which is why the o-ring is needed?? this is definitely speculation on my part, truthfully I have no idea lol), so I'm leaning towards the charge leaked out. Not to mention, the repair took me WAY too long to complete, around 4 months. It was either life happening or inclement weather.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky74 View Post
You need A/C gauges to check pressures, otherwise you are low on refrigerant (134A) and will require charging.

To be honest I really wouldn't even know where to start for checking the high/low pressures. Very new to DIY on my diesel!

I referenced the ohm-meter just to make sure the connection was good, but everything looks ok.. no corrosion or whatnot

I think I have a place in mind locally that can check the charge for me, would rather not go to Ford here, they seem to have higher pricing on everything
Old 04-23-2012, 05:40 PM

Basically it's it an on/off switch, off at set pressure & back on at a set pressure.

Your house thermostat is an ajustable on/off switch.

Ok schools out Miller time. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.