4500 RPM accident - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 08:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4500 RPM accident

So my buddy has a 6.0 with studs and an SCT tuner. He calls me up the other day freaking out. Apparenly his kid ended up gettin in his idling truck in the driveway and buryed the pedal. He said he hit it twice before he could get to the truck, each time no more than maybe half a second, but he knows the second time he hit 4500 rpm right as he was pullin him out of the drivers seat. Thats when his truck bogged down then killed. It still runs fine but he is paranoid he did serious damage. Thier are no check engine lights either. I told him it was probly just the defuel from high rpms since he never messed with the rpm limiter on his SCT. Any other suggestions?

I think the best part about it was when he was chewing out his son for doing that, his sons reply was "I wanted to blow smoke like you dad"..... Atleast hes sorta raisin him right hahahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hahaha that's awesome that his just wanted to be like his dad. I doubt any damage was done, my truck had turned 4500 on accident before and it hasn't showed any signs of damage. Probably just died cause it defueled. I know my truck has died after doing a 90+mph brakestand before but fired right back up afterwards.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:12 PM

ya his did too, I went over to his place to check it out... doesnt have a knock or anything. I figured it woulda spun bearings if it was gonna do any damage, and that would be very noticable haha...... he was just worried cuz he did it twice, I dont blame him I guess ha
Old 04-22-2012, 08:22 PM
back to business

There is a rev limiter, that shouldn't allow the truck to rev to a point of damage.

I've held gasser at the rev limiter in neutral for a few seconds at a time (never buy a car that was owned by a rental place ) Never seemed to do any damage to them.

On edit - I'd be tanning his hide, and then laughing my azz off.......... "I just wanted to blow some smoke" funny stuff,.. kids
Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Rev limiter - engine begins to defuel at 4000 rpm.
As others said, your buddy should be fine.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
As others said, your buddy should be fine.
But his kid is gonna have a sore back side!!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07OUTLAW View Post
There is a rev limiter, that shouldn't allow the truck to rev to a point of damage.

I've held gasser at the rev limiter in neutral for a few seconds at a time (never buy a car that was owned by a rental place ) Never seemed to do any damage to them.

On edit - I'd be tanning his hide, and then laughing my azz off.......... "I just wanted to blow some smoke" funny stuff,.. kids

SOOOOOOO TRUE

I feel so bad for the car when i'm done with it........Well, not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
But his kid is gonna have a sore back side!!

Man isn't that true.... I will be the party pooper and say this... leaving your kid in a started vehicle is JUST a bit

Imagine if he would have got it out of park and into gear or reverse could have killed someone!!!

I KNOW that stuff happens sometimes and i'm usually not the guy to say the above, but I just hope that the father gets a lesson out of this too as Boys will be boys and an azz whooping might not prevent his kid from doing it again in a month

Be careful and smart out there guys
Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 AM

from the sounds of it, he didnt leave him inside... he got in while he was inside grabbing a paper
Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Ok

I'm not judging him, just stating that hopefully it was a little lesson for him too...I'm just brainstorming as I have a little one and It can happen to anyone if not prepared for and thought through all the possibilities
Old 04-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I wouldn't worry, I used to have a 4550 rev limiter and banged it off that plenty of times showin off like an A$$! Now i've smartened up and put it back to 4050. But they sure do sound good at that rpm on the street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.