Help with Coolant Pressure Readings - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Help with Coolant Pressure Readings

Day 1- Stock tuning, once I got it up to temps pressure was 5psi consistently on the highway. WOT runs up to 70mph it would hit 7psi or so. Going up a steep hill ECT got up to 208* and reached 10psi.

Day 2- SRL tune for my pmax. Once up to temps I did some WOT to 70 again would hit 16psi and come down to 15psi. Then once on the highway pressure was a consistent 14psi. Then running up the same hill the day before ECT got up to 208* again and pressure was 15psi.

I have a washer in the up pipe with a 1/4in hole to prevent CEL when not tuned (plan on just plugging it all together when I have time). Also when the truck hit 16psi tuned, I looked under the hood and didnt see any coolant spewed all over, but I guess the coolant wouldnt have to come out as long as gas pressure is released.

Not sure how to decipher this. Does tuning really add that much more pressure to the system? Just thinking out loud, but by not allowing the gas to really escape the egr cooler when tuned, could I have a small in the cooler and with the gases not going anywhere, build pressure in the system? Because stock the egr valve would be open allowing gas to flow through? Maybe someone else has some other ideas or theories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 12:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've been wondering and measuring almost the same results, only difference is mine will hit 15 PSI stock or tuned, just quicker with a tune and I have an EGR delete from bulletproof and am running Eric's Street Perform Tune.

Because of this pressure in coolant I've decided I have a HG leak and put the truck in the shop for ARP studs and oem gaskets.

Denny

Last edited by colonel angus; 04-21-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:24 PM

Well if you are experiencing the same situation a me I'll be interested to hear your new readings after you get your head studs done.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
with the SRL+ and the Pmax/Batmo combination I would expect your egt's to be higher leading to higher ECT's. If high enough to boil the coolant you are going to see a pressure rize. You have a tuner which can kill the light so why not close the egr cooler off all the way?

Oddly enough with the same setup and 175/75 sticks behind it climbing a decent grade (say 4% or so) at 75 mph I will easily see 1350*+. I can either back out of it and downshift to 5th gear or I can speed up to 90 mph or a tad more. Either one will lower my EGT's.

I have no EGR cooler (Sinister delete) and have a BPD remote oil cooler so my coolant temps and oil temps are a different matter. I don't run stock so I couldn't tell you what happens then.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:48 PM

I should mention i changed from Gold to ELC and didn't see any difference, but not the sole reason for changing over. Also have the Sin. Coolant Filter.

D
Old 04-21-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
with the SRL+ and the Pmax/Batmo combination I would expect your egt's to be higher leading to higher ECT's. If high enough to boil the coolant you are going to see a pressure rize. You have a tuner which can kill the light so why not close the egr cooler off all the way?

Oddly enough with the same setup and 175/75 sticks behind it climbing a decent grade (say 4% or so) at 75 mph I will easily see 1350*+. I can either back out of it and downshift to 5th gear or I can speed up to 90 mph or a tad more. Either one will lower my EGT's.

I have no EGR cooler (Sinister delete) and have a BPD remote oil cooler so my coolant temps and oil temps are a different matter. I don't run stock so I couldn't tell you what happens then.
I life in Ca so I was trying to be safe. Now that I know you can run even a tow tune to pass tests I will plug it and not worry.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:47 AM

If my ect temps are the same whether I'm tuned or not, I would think my pressure would be the same. Unless its possible to have a leak in a head gasket or egr and it not leak until a high tune is on? am I way off here?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:12 AM

If I'm not mistaken the ECT's will always be close because the thermostat will regulate them.

I have perfect temps around 192 ish regardless and pressures in excess of 15 psi and mild puking and head gaskets going in with ARP studs.

Denny
Old 04-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Yes the thermostat controls the coolant heat!

Mine stays at 190-193 with a stock tune or Erics Extreme Street..

But if I romp on it the temp will rise
Old 04-25-2012, 06:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
I was monitoring my coolant pressures for a while. Driving normal (under 10lbs off boost)stock or tuned all day my coolant pressure wouldn't go over 5-7 psi. But if I get on it a few times (not wot) it will climb to 15-16 and sit there. Caps venting of course. And puking at wot tuned. My ect sits at 188-190 tuned, stock, or towing (at 5k and under)

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.