turbo noise? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 07:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo noise?

Any of yall with the bullet proof diesel oil cooler and egr coolers, notice the turbo has a louder whistle to it than it did before the oil and egr cooler? I have checked all hoses and clamps, and the trubo will build 25lbs of boost, and hold that boost. i thought if i had a exhaust leak the boost pressure would not hold. i have stock air filter assembly. I guess i will take my 36 ft fifth wheel toy hauler for a "test tow in a week" and listen to the truck, unless yall have other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 07:26 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You can definitely have an exhaust leak and still make 25psi of boost. The good news is that you can usually see the soot from where the exhaust is leaking. The other thing is that the exhaust leaks are usually VERY noticeable. Take the truck out with your toy hauler and it should give you a better idea of whether you can just hear the turbo better or you do have an exhaust leak. The backpressure from your turbo with a substantial load will DEFINITELY tell you which condition you have.

PS. You might PM Nicholas (2006PSDSD) and ask him to chime in with his thoughts. He's done 2 of these installs.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Unapologetically American

I don't know why, but I feel that mine is louder too. I have another noise though, and it may be what you're hearing. The oil lines that run to the cooler, may rest against a body panel or the AC lines, and transfer the whine of the HPOP into the cab. This phenomina is a rare one, but some trucks will exhibit this noise, while most don't, according to Ken at BPD. I rearranged my lines, and the noise went away for the most part, but I can still hear it, no one else can though

I thought the HPOP noise was an exhaust leak too, but no dice. I have over 10k on this install, and zero issues, other than that noise, and a small oil leak from one of the fittings on the transfer block. I don't think I got it tight enough . I'll take care of that soon!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 AM

I agree on the "whine Sound" i had lots of trouble getting all the clamps to line up and not leak, i cant feel any air aorund the clamps, but it does have a louder whine, sounds like the turbo to me. my oil cooler lines are run the exact way bullet proof diesel says to run the lines. Could this louder whine sound come from the new EGR cooler? the plumbing inside the BPD egr cooler is nothing like the stock egr cooler. Fact is: with a lithum flashlight held on my stock egr cooler at one end, i could barely see any light at the other end of the cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
I don't know why, but I feel that mine is louder too. I have another noise though, and it may be what you're hearing. The oil lines that run to the cooler, may rest against a body panel or the AC lines, and transfer the whine of the HPOP into the cab. This phenomina is a rare one, but some trucks will exhibit this noise, while most don't, according to Ken at BPD. I rearranged my lines, and the noise went away for the most part, but I can still hear it, no one else can though

I thought the HPOP noise was an exhaust leak too, but no dice. I have over 10k on this install, and zero issues, other than that noise, and a small oil leak from one of the fittings on the transfer block. I don't think I got it tight enough . I'll take care of that soon!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:26 AM

I doubt it's the EGR cooler. The extra whine I'm describing sounds more like a bad PS pump than a turbo whistle. I ran my lines like you did, according to instructions from BPD. Ken said that some HPOPs are just louder than others. I found that the whine went away for the most part after I moved the line around that's routed under the airbox (OE)
Old 04-20-2012, 08:38 AM

"power sterring pump whine", i think you hit the nail on the hit with that description ! how did you route the #1 hose, got a pic? i routed mine over the intercooler outlet, under the airbox, then up and over the fuel filter lines on the left side of the engine, ( provided your facing the engine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
I doubt it's the EGR cooler. The extra whine I'm describing sounds more like a bad PS pump than a turbo whistle. I ran my lines like you did, according to instructions from BPD. Ken said that some HPOPs are just louder than others. I found that the whine went away for the most part after I moved the line around that's routed under the airbox (OE)
Old 04-20-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbock guy View Post
"power sterring pump whine", i think you hit the nail on the hit with that description ! how did you route the #1 hose, got a pic? i routed mine over the intercooler outlet, under the airbox, then up and over the fuel filter lines on the left side of the engine, ( provided your facing the engine).
I found that after the hose had been on there a while, it had a bit more manuveurability than it did when I first installed it. I remove the airbox and was able to move it around to get it further away from the headlight frame.

I had to take the airbox out after I got the noise to go away, and didn't pay attention when reinstalling, and the noise is back like it was before . Even after I moved the hose the first time, the noise was still there, but was much quieter than it was before, I almost had to strain to hear it
Old 04-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Emergency Services

Hey Nick, remember asking if mine had the HPOP noise at around 1200RPM and I had said "no". Well I do now! I'm pretty sure that's what it is, right around 1400RPM. It started over the winter and I notice it every time I drive the truck now. Hopefully we'll get some warmer weather and I can look at moving some lines around to quiet it a little bit.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:59 AM

I felt as if i heard the noise most between 1500 and 2200 rpm. Not sure how or where i would move the lines. those oil lines are like trying to bend a piece of Steel ! not too mention there is not much, if any, extra length on the lines.
surprised the guys at BPD have not chimed in to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermedic View Post
Hey Nick, remember asking if mine had the HPOP noise at around 1200RPM and I had said "no". Well I do now! I'm pretty sure that's what it is, right around 1400RPM. It started over the winter and I notice it every time I drive the truck now. Hopefully we'll get some warmer weather and I can look at moving some lines around to quiet it a little bit.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermedic View Post
You were listening to your music too loud!

Lik I told the OP, I got mine to go away pretty easily, so I'm sure you guys can too

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbock guy View Post
I felt as if i heard the noise most between 1500 and 2200 rpm. Not sure how or where i would move the lines. those oil lines are like trying to bend a piece of Steel ! not too mention there is not much, if any, extra length on the lines.
surprised the guys at BPD have not chimed in to this thread.
Alan, when I say move it, I don't mean to reroute it or anything. Just moving it 1/4" away from body parts will quiet the noise, and after the line has been molded in to it's new home, it makes it a lot easier to move around to get that 1/4" of play

BTW guys, I hear the PS whining noise at those RPMs too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.