head gasket success!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 09:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
head gasket success!!

just wanted to share my recent success with head gaskets and studs on my 05 f350. first off i have to say i could not have done it without the help of many of the members of this forum, really made life easier. i started the job one weekend while home from school and had the heads off after about a day and a half of work (much time spend cleaning and keeping things VERY organized) and discovered my gasket was blown between all four cylinders of the passenger side. then i ordered my parts and waited...for almost 3 weeks...for my parts. there had been a damaged gasket shipped to the company so they had to return it and get a new one for me. finally all the parts were in and the reassembly began. i spent a good half day just cleaning the block and head mating surfaces to get a good seal, but i did not get the heads milled due to lack of funding (being a broke college student...no truck=no income) i did check the heads with a very true straight edge and they were within ford specified tolerances. with the help of my dad, a friend of mine who is in training to become a CAT mechanic, and an engine lift we lowered the heads back into the engine bay and very carefully placed them back on the block. with the ARP studs, injectors, and all the rocker arm components installed we began torquing the heads down using the sequence specified by ARP. after breaking my torque wrench on the last stud of the last sequence on the passenger head we had to rent one from auto zone to complete the sequence and do the drivers side head. after this we saw it as all down hill, valve covers, A/C box, intake manifold, etc. we finally called it a night around 1:30 that morning. the next day we finished the job with a few minor troubles, mostly exhaust flanges on EGR and turbo not lining up with the Y pipe. then came the moment of truth...start up. after about a minute worth of cranking, giving the starter breaks throughout, she finally fired off and ran, but was rough. backed it out of my garage and held it at a higher RPM (around 1000-1200) and the idle began smoothing out as the oil rails built up more pressure and bled out the air. i could not have been happier. i have been driving it for a week now and the water temp has never gotten higher than 204, which is a big change from the constant overheating i was facing with the blown gasket. i am convinced that the job turned out to be a complete success and i would like to give a big thank you to all of you on here who have chimed in on my previous posts with helpful advice. also, to anyone who is facing the same job but is unsure if you can do it, trust me it is not as hard as we have been made to believe. im only 19, and have had no formal diesel mechanic training, just what i learned growing up working on jeeps with my dad. just be careful, take notes, be organized, be thorough, and take your time, and you too can most likely do it yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 02:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its nice having a problem free trk agian isnt it... I just had new heads,gaskets and studs last weekend and everything is all good now...Its a good feeling..
Old 04-20-2012, 06:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Glad you got the truck going again. I'd hate to be the bearer of bad new's but, if you were dealing with overheating issues and things of the sort you're really on thin ice without milling your heads. A warped head may not show right now but could easily cause another blown gasket issue shortly down the road. I totally understand the college student budget as I was one 5 years ago. Just letting you know how these sort's of things usually go. Then again, you may be totally fine and never have another head gasket problem. I would just keep a stock tune on it and not run it that hard if you're looking for dependability.

What gaskets did you use?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Glad to hear you got your truck back together. I always love to see posts from guys willing to jump in and do their own work. Kudos to you.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:56 PM

yeah i understand about the milling and i wish i could have had it done but like i said budget and time were completely used up...and i went with the ford factory gaskets, from what i've read they are far superior to the black onyx gaskets. and thanks pgreensvt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.