Head gasket warranty issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head gasket warranty issues

Im wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I noticed the usual white residue on the coolant bottle that most people on here are familiar with and at first assumed the bottle was just too full. I sucked some coolant out so it was barely to the min line and put a low pressure gauge on the tank and went for a ride. After the truck got to normal temps the gauge went up to 16psi as i floored it and stayed there the whole time i drove around. I have an 07 with around 90000 miles and when i bought the truck a year ago i got the ford extended powertrain warranty because of the known problems with these engines. So i dropped the truck off yesterday and the dealer called today and told me there are 2 possible sources of excessive pressure in the coolant system. The EGR cooler and the head gaskets. All of which i already knew from posts on this site. They said they tested the egr cooler and it seems fine so one would assume it is the head gaskets BUT... for some unknown reason Ford did not approve the warranty work. Ford requested that the heads are pulled off and pictures of the gaskets and heads sent to them for further review. The problem is, from what the dealer told me, if they do not approve the work at that point then i would be responsible for all costs, which is $3100 just in labor to remove and reinstall the heads, no parts. Of course i told them to hold off while i decide what to do, i was just wondering what you guys thought about it. The dealer seems sure they will cover it once they see the gaskets but im not so sure. The truck rarely smokes, doesnt use any oil at all and as far as i can tell there is no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. The temps on my cts never vary more then 11 or 12* at 60. Sorry for the long story, just trying to be as accurate as possible. Any information or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That is typical of Ford ESP, always wanting pictures or sending out inspectors pretty much wasting everyones time. Not much you can do but play their game, it's possible if you complain enough they will cover the repair without hastle.

Prior approval is required for a certain dollar amount per line on the repair order. so what happened was the dealer called it in for headgaskets and ford says whoa wait a minute, we're gonna dick you around for a while until someone gets pissed off. Ford warranty really aggravates me if you can't tell, it's a no win situation for anyone.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I kinda figured that was the situation. My issue is if it is that small of a leak it may not be easily detectable. Also I know someone that got boned by them in almost the same way and had to pay $4800 when it is all said and done. I told the dealer to tell them I said no and I'm going to take the truck back and use it to tow my trailers for work. I have 30000 miles left on the warranty and I don't see it making it that long. I hate to be a dick but if they want to play games I'm ready. If they are not saying its covered then it must be ok to drive like normal right? On top of that even if it is covered they want $2100 to flush the system and put new egr cooler and oil cooler in. That should be illegal. Ford made defective parts and put them on a ****ty design then raped their customers to get it fixed. As you can tell I am also annoyed with them. For 2100 I'll take all of the emissions bs off and put In a new cooler after they fix the hg's.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

They should be able to tell if the gasket is bad even if its just 1 small blow out. My trks gaskets were bad and it never overheated or showed any signs of trouble besides the 16+ psi in the degas bottle and alot of degas cap venting but no real puking.. When I got my gaskets off you could see clear as day were the gaskets were bad in 2 spots.
I wonder what they would do if your head was cracked and gaskers were good? Do they check for that...
Old 04-20-2012, 06:00 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
They will also look for evidence of tuner usage which will mean your on the hook for the bill.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
They will also look for evidence of tuner usage which will mean your on the hook for the bill.
Ding ding ding...we have a winner!

That is why they want the pictures. If there is evidence of a tuner they can decline responsibility for the repair.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I never had a tuner on the truck since I got it. I don't know about the previous owner though.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Had I known they were going to give me a hard time about it I would have saved the money on the warranty and just fixed it myself. It's crazy that ford doesn't stand behind their products. I guess they all do it, I've never had anything major go wrong under warranty before.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
They did the SAME thing to me a few months ago. They pulled heads to take pictures and send them off to ford. I popped into the dealership to look at my truck and I kindly pointed out that they cylinder walls are scored and that there was a problem. I got a new motor from pan to turbo.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well if I'm going to risk spending $5000 I might as well trade it in for a gm. Never had this kind of ****ty service from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.