looking for 2 wheel low mod - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking for 2 wheel low mod

Hello Everyone,

I remember seeing a way to run a 4 wd in 2 wd low. Ive searched and cant find one. If this is possible can someone point my in the right direction.

Thanks, Richard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 11:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you have 4x4 on the floor you can just don't lock your hubs in. I do know that but if there is a way to do it with the electric 4x4 idk
Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The best way to do it is by swapping to manual hubs. If you want to keep the auto hubs, there is a solenoid on the passenger fender that controls vacuum to the hubs. Put a switch on it and the hubs won't engage.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the help guys. Since I have factory hubs I plan to control it on upfitter switch #4. Thanks again!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

in my opinion depending on how much snow you see i would switch to warn premiums, my autos went out about 3 years ago and we had a foot of snow in NE and found out my lines froze up and had to floor it in 2wd the whole time! it sucked!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokedoutlaw View Post
in my opinion depending on how much snow you see i would switch to warn premiums, my autos went out about 3 years ago and we had a foot of snow in NE and found out my lines froze up and had to floor it in 2wd the whole time! it sucked!
Thanks! Would I have to replace just the hubs or will I have to replace the whole vacume bearing assembly with something like the Dynatrac? My truck carries alot of wieght on it so I would like to be able to use 4x4 low gears on hard dirt roads and pavement without the fronts turning depending on conditions. However reliable 4x4 is very important to me as I use it often. Is the warn stronger than the factory hub? When my vacume pump went out I was able to lock the factory hubs and use the 4x4.I hunt up by you in SD every Nov.

Thanks for everyones help
Old 04-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You could go either route. Warn make a direct replacement lockout that keeps the stock unitbearings. Dynatrac makes a kit that replaces the unitbearings and uses a larger 35 spline Warn or Dynatrac lockout. Either way, it will be more reliable than the stock plastic hubs. As for the vacuum system, it will still be used by the vent controls. When I put a Dynatrac kit on, I capped the holes at the axle and removed the excess line to prevent leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.