F250 King Ranch or 06F250 FX4

• 05 F250 King Ranch

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • 06 F250 FX4

Votes: 6 30.0%

05 F250 King Ranch or 06 F250 FX4

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  bismic 
#1 ·
After reading many threads about the 6.0s, and trying to decide to go F150. I've decided on the F250. I like the diesel and the F150 beds are to short, I'm in a construction field. I'm torn between 2 trucks. A 2005 F250 King Ranch with added dvd system and reverse camera, spray in bed liner, and sunroof. It has 105k miles and is listed at $21k. Or a 2006 F250 FX4 with the same interior (different leather of course), stock radio, no sunroof, no spray in bed liner. It has 81k miles and is listed at $24k. Both have running boards. I can't make up my mind if I should go a little cheaper for the slightly higher mileage King Ranch or slightly more expensive FX4 with better suspension and skid plates? Any ideas?

#4 ·
You can beat the KR leather seats!!! As for the FX4 package, those Ranchero shocks are just Ford OEM shocks painted and stickers put on them.

#5 ·
I have the 06 Lariat, has all the bells and whistles:woot:
I have been told the only difference between the Lariat and the King Ranch is the leather and badging.:woot: And a few $$$.
We have been very happy with it so far.
Have had it for about 14 months and put about 11,000 on it. had 59,000 on it when we bought it.

#10 ·
My 05 is a F-350 King Ranch FX4 and I love it, I bought it with 105000.0 miles on it less than a year ago and now has 160000.0 miles. The king Ranch is a Lariat with just different leather seat, trim and badging.

#11 ·
I think the king ranch will hold its value better but I would go off which one runs better. Check out the oasis reports, check all the temps and readings for the true value of the truck.

#12 ·
The King Ranch castano leather is great but is also an extra maintenance item to keep looking good. The KR leather is most likely going to be a lot more susceptible to staining than regular Lariat leather. In the construction business you may be sliding in and out of the seats a lot. You are going to want whatever leather is the toughest. I've seen a KR with huge tears in the seats and foam poking out from the owner sliding in and out all day with his jeans. I make it a point, in my truck, to stand up on the running boards and step out rather than slide. I also make that mandatory for my passengers! :thumb:

The resale is going to be somewhat of a moot point because if you do not take care of the leather it is going to look absolutely terrible. Look at some KR's on eBay and you'll get an idea of what unmaintained KR seats look like.

Getting an idea of the health of each truck with monitoring systems would be great but may be quite a pain. Getting some Oasis reports would be an easier idea. I wouldn't consider mileage as a factor what-so-ever. Which truck looks like it was taken better care of? Look at the coolant bottles. The dirtier it is in the inside, probably the worse it was taken care of. Coolant is as important as oil in these engines and that must be maintained. 105k is still very low miles for a properly maintained 6.0. At worst you could be looking at doing an oil cooler and EGR cooler in the future but if you're properly maintained from there you'll close most doors for future failures.

Do as much reading on the board as you can but take stray comments and posts with a grain of salt if there isn't a majority general consensus on a certain subject.

And please, since you're in the construction business, do NOT IDLE YOUR 6.0 FOR EXTENDED PERIODS!! I think they teach that in construction school. If that is your intent, get a gas truck. These truck's are meant to run and tow at highway speed and if you idle it all day you'll be back here cussing it out for us! Good luck with your decision, go with the one that has been taken best care of but keep looking around. If you want the KR to take the family out in nice leather interior invest in some nice seat covers for work so you don't have to worry about tearing your pride KR seats up. Wet Okole is well known for making super tough seat covers but your truck will smell like a wetsuit whenever they're on the seats. But at least you won't be looking at your stained seats with foam sticking out everywhere!

#13 ·
I decided to go with the King Ranch. Center console was messed up, but dealer ordered me a new one. Test drove it, everything seems fine. Fell in love with the truck, drove it home, went to get insurance and realized I made a huge error.....I thought I bought a 4x4 and found out its a 4x2. I wasn't miss led or anything, it clearly said online rear wheel drive, showed picture where the 4x4 knob should have been had it had been built with 4x4, but it doesn't. After nearly vomiting realizing what I did I've calmed down a bit bout it. I don't really need the 4x4, mostly will never need it.....but I wanted it and would have been nice. But I guess with just having a baby and work isn't always steady it's probably for the best. Just wish I hadn't been so googly eyed with it and actually checked for stupid switch. Oh well I'll just use the savings from not paying extra for 4x4 on a few stuff I need...want for truck, diapers....kid is going through 13 or so a day, and wait till I can afford a 2012 or newer one day :) or at least that's what I'm going to tell myself till I fully believe it

#14 ·
Wow...I would see if you can take it back, most places have a 72 hour window. You may have paid too much for a 2wd with that many miles...see if they can put you in the lariat instead...

#15 · (Edited)
Too late to help w/ this thread, but just an FYI for any fuure readers -

Depending on the build date, the 06 could have some minor upgrades (like the improved turbo drain line and the machined recess in the turbo). Also, the MAF was deleted in 05 and added back in 2006. I think it helps in the programming to have a MAF (only an opinion though). Also - the 06 might have the bracket installed on the HPOP discharge fitting (STC connection) - which is not as good as the upgrade to the one-piece fitting, but it is better than nothing (which is what the 05 has).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.